How Long Will it Take the Winner?

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

How long do you think it will take the R2AK winner?

4 days or less
No votes
5-7 days
13%
8-10 days
25%
11-14 days
33%
15-20 days
13%
21-25 days
13%
26-30 days
4%
More than 30 days
No votes

Total votes: 24
Editors
Site Admin

How Long Will it Take the Winner?

Post by Editors »

How long will it take the R2AK winner(s) to travel the full 750 miles?
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
scotdomergue
Regular Contributor

Re: How Long Will it Take the Winner?

Post by scotdomergue »

Take a look at the Wooden Boat Forum, Race to Alaska 2015 thread. If Dragonfly or Bad Kitty or a similar all-out racing catamaran with experienced crew enters, the winner might make it within 4 days!
Colin Angus
New Contributor

Post by Colin Angus »

I've spent some time bouncing numbers around, and have come up with 7-10 days for the winner. You can see how I've derived this figure at our latest blog posting: http://angusrowboats.com/blog/2015/01/2298/

I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks my estimates for multihull speeds need tweaking.
scotdomergue
Regular Contributor

Post by scotdomergue »

Excellent analysis Colin! Do you think you'll go up Hecate Straight or stay in the narrow channels of the inside passage (similar distance, but greater impact from currents, I think)?

Keep in mind that multi-hulls can go as fast into the wind as running before it, so heading north may be as fast as heading south.

I suspect it will come down to weather conditions!

I think my new tri (under construction) should be quite fast sailing, and still make reasonable speed by human power (3 to 4 knots - hope? expect? - it will be very interesting to see once she's on the water!).
Colin Angus
New Contributor

Post by Colin Angus »

Hey Scott,

I suspect my prediction is somewhat conservative, as I was guestimating sailing speed alone of the performance boats. Obviously, they have an advantage over the VanIsle 360 contestants with the human-powered propulsion. I look forward to seeing your finished boat - I've seen some of your design elements on another forum, and it looks like it should be a pretty capable vessel. It will be interesting to see what sort of propulsion systems are incorporated into some of other multi-hulls. Most aren't suited well for a Mirage Drive type system, and they don't have the shape for a good sliding rowing system. One thing I've learned over the years is a large boat and a couple of paddles is not an effective way to go. Custom retractable prop drives would be my choice, but it takes a lot of time to create an efficient bulletproof system!

We may go on the inside or the outside once past the tip of Van Isle -it all depends on the conditions and how the boat is performing. Looking forward to seeing you out there soon.