Sailing the R2AK Start/Camp Cruise 2 Alaska with Simplicity?

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

simplicity sails
New Contributor
Location: Winters in Green Turtle Cay Abaco Islands, Bahamas & Summers in San Juan Islands, Washington

Sailing the R2AK Start/Camp Cruise 2 Alaska with Simplicity?

Post by simplicity sails »

Update! S/V Simplicity a 19' Monohull Camp Cruiser is now Registered and Preparing to Race in the PT to Victoria leg of the R2AK, and looking for other Small Craft Adventurers whom might want to follow along in the "Wake of the Racer's", Sleeping Aboard or Camping Ashore enjoying the Beauty and Adventure of the Inside Passage....UPDATE 4/15/15 I am preparing to fly to Seattle and ferry over to Lopez Island and Launch Simplicity for the R2AK Start in PT June 4th. I am looking for Buddy Boats, like minded Singlehandlers, AKA Backpack Sailors whom may want to continue to Juneau and then on to Skagway AK and Hike the Famous Chilkoot Miners Trail into the Yukon....An Adventure of a Lifetime!
Last edited by simplicity sails on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jamie Orr
New Contributor

Re: Sail / Motor to Alaska Anyone ?

Post by Jamie Orr »

I'm planning to sail north during the race, I'd like to arrive in Ketchikan in time for July 4th. Date and place of departure (PT or Victoria) still not determined, will depend in part on some friends who might also go.

You're welcome to sail with me or the group. We're generally pretty relaxed about things although we might have to work harder to cover this distance.

Although I'd like to sail the whole thing, I'll probably use the motor at times. My boat is a beast to row.

PM me if you're interested and would like to discuss specifics, let me know what your preferences and constraints might be.

Jamie
simplicity sails
New Contributor
Location: Winters in Green Turtle Cay Abaco Islands, Bahamas & Summers in San Juan Islands, Washington

Hi Jamie, Thanks for the quick reply..Yes, I would be interested in sailing in company with you and friends for the race..I sail out of Lopez Island in the San Juan Islands aboard an 18' Sovereign Camp Cruiser, outfitted for spartan but fairly comfortable living aboard...I cruised North to Desolation Sound and the Broughton Islands (port hardy) last summer and fell in love with the British Columbia Coast...I would have no time restraints, prefering to return to the SJ's in September..Wonder what type of boat you and your friends would be cruising on? Ok, lets keep in touch, it will be fun to plan an Alaskan Adventure!
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Post by rgthom »

Assuming that I make it across in stage 1, I hope to cruise for a week in the Gulf Islands and back through the San Juans. If anyone else is interested - sail, row or motor, please come along! I am open to routes, and my brother has agreed to pick me up sometime in the first couple of weeks of June, somewhere on the Salish Sea.

Those of you cruising the whole route, which is what I would really like to do but cannot take the time this year, I hate you all (even Jamie). Just kidding, sort of.

Rick
Jamie Orr
New Contributor

Post by Jamie Orr »

SS - No, no! The BC coast north of Desolation is a terrible cruising ground. Don't tell people to go there, it's awful and full of bad people and dangerous squirrels - only miserable people like ourselves should go there.

Rick, what can I say - except maybe "nyah nyah".
No really, I'm a jerk but not that big of one - if you're restricted to the San Juans consider the Sucia Small Boat Rendezvous the weekend after July 4th. It's looking like I may not make it because of the "other" trip but it should have enough momentum after 11 years to survive that. The website is out of date but the key information stays unchanged, go to http://members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/

That will also take you to the Montague Harbour Rendezvous on Galiano Island. This will require a passport or other acceptable travel document but might appeal. Galiano is accessible by car ferry as well.

Oh yes, there's generally a cruise after Sucia, organized by whoever wants to do it.

Jamie
Tom Christie
New Contributor

Post by Tom Christie »

Ahhh, "vessels of opportunity".
Good idea guys, keep Ch 16 turned up.
Cheers!
simplicity sails
New Contributor

Hi Jamie, Are you still planing on following in the wake of the Race to Alaska? I am excited about returning to the San Juans and aboard Simplicity and preparing her for the June start..I wonder If you know of other sailors whom will be traveling with the racers? looking forward to meeting you and hearing of your plans...Chris S/V Outward Bound, Abaco Islands, Bahamas