Radio licenses for US vessels

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

rgthom
Regular Contributor

Re: Radio licenses for US vessels

Post by rgthom »

The advice I have from several in the area is that no one is going to hassle you over licenses if you don't do something dumb on the radio. I am just going to carry my handheld VHF (with US MMSI) and no license.
stuartweibel
New Contributor

Post by stuartweibel »

It is my understanding (based on a presentation at the WBF last year), that MMSI numbers registered in the US are recognized in Canada. There is no reason to spend the $160 registration fee for internationally recognized numbers, which is absurd on the face of it. I recently acquired a new DSC radio and put off getting a number out of an unwillingness to tell the little white lie in answering the question ("Are you SURE that never in your lifetime or the lifetime of any living relative, that your boat will never travel outside the US??? REALLY SURE???).

Just to share the blame, the person who alluded to this dispensation in the PNW was the current editor of Waggoners' Guide.

Take it for what it is worth.

stu
master and slave to s/v Ripple
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Post by rgthom »

This is from the BoatUS FAQ:

Q: I am a recreational boater in the United States but regularly go into Canadian waters. Can I still use the BoatUS MMSI?
A: While Canada is considered “international waters” which calls for an FCC Ship Station License, it is our understanding that Canada is not enforcing US regulations. Canada has also de-licensed recreational boaters. That does not mean they can not or will not require it if given reason to do so. If you proceed to operate in the shared waters without license you do so at your own risk. Under international treaties to which the US is a party, you are required to have an FCC license to transmit your radio in a foreign port. It is recommended for Mexico, Bahamas and the Caribbean etc. BoatUS and the GMDSS Task Force are working to have the FCC lift the rule for Canada and the Bahamas. Also, the U.S. & Canadian Coast Guard are working together to respond to any distresses in the border waters.