Arrangements in Victoria

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

rgthom
Regular Contributor

Arrangements in Victoria

Post by rgthom »

Assuming I actually make it to Victoria, are there going to be arrangements for overnight docking and sleeping? Can we camp aboard, on the dock, in a hotel? Is the R2AK going to spring for rooms at the Empress ;) ?
Jake Beattie
New Contributor

Re: Arrangements in Victoria

Post by Jake Beattie »

Sorry for the long delay on this one- You're on your own for accomodations in Vic, but we've been in contact with the Harbor Authority who are arranging to have moorage in the inner harbor for racers. Victoria is a big city so there are also plenty of hotels and bed and breakfasts if you're looking to spend the night ashore. There was initial interest from one hotel looking to sponsor a deep discount to participants, but nothing solid yet. We'll keep you posted.
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Post by rgthom »

Thanks Jake. So we will have moorage in the inner harbor June 4 and 5, and we can camp aboard the boat - is that what you are saying?
norseboater
Regular Contributor

Post by norseboater »

February 7 Hotels Update, Victoria:

Yesterday my wife and I went online, researched a variety of hotels close to Victoria's inner harbor, and made a reservation at one place about 5-6 blocks from the finish line. (We aren't in the race, but will be there as committee volunteers to greet racers as they arrive in Victoria.)

In any case, we discovered that rooms are still available--but probably not for much longer--for as little as $79/night at the Days Inn…very close to the finish line and Coho ferry dock. Generally, most of the hotels we checked had only a small number of rooms left in the lower price ranges…so we advise booking soon if you need a hotel in Victoria.

We used Kayak.com and Hotels.com for the search.

Marty Loken and Marjiann (Mo) Moss, Nordland, WA
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Post by RaceBoss »

rgthom wrote:Thanks Jake. So we will have moorage in the inner harbor June 4 and 5, and we can camp aboard the boat - is that what you are saying?
Race Boss here,

Just wanted to clarity that you will have moorage in the Inner Harbour in front of the Empress Hotel until the start of leg 2 on the 7th. And you can sleep aboard.
ecgossett
New Contributor

Post by ecgossett »

Me and my wife booked hotel rooms at Admiral Inn that had better looking rooms then the other inn. I noticed at most of the hotels the rooms can be canceled up to 48 hours out.

BlackBall Ferries offers a package deal on rooms 72 hours out at https://www.cohoferry.com/packages/home/victoria

For the room with taxes at $150 reserved through hotel online. Priceline was about $20 cheaper, but I read some stuff about getting "walked" because sometime hotels double books Priceline rooms.

The ferry for the same rooms on a date 72 hours out was $78 including the walk on passenger price of $15 and taxes. We tested both sites on the same weekend 3 days out. If your having someone come over on ferry consider booking a ferry combo three days out and seeing if it saves you significant money.

My understanding is the Ferry has blocks of rooms auto reserved at most hotels for the 72 hour deal.

Ed
www.foggysailing.com