Official Crew Available/Wanted Thread (R2AK)

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

SaltyAK
New Contributor

Crew

Post by SaltyAK »

Hello-

I'm hoping to participate in upcoming R2AK events and am looking to join a team. I just moved to Seattle from SF where I was an avid Santana 22 sailor, routinely single handing in 30+ knots of wind. I grew up in Sitka, AK and spent my youth on the waters of SE Alaska, with 5 seasons commercial fishing and 5 season as a kayak guide. I'm also an Orthopaedic surgeon with a longstanding interest in Wilderness a Medicine. I'm 34, in good shape, and will never whine:)

My goal is to contribute to a team next year (and learn all that I can), and hopefully campaign my own craft in 2 years. Tragically, time restraints may prevent me from participating beyond Victoria next year.

Thank you for reading. Feel free to contact me at mike.a.pouliot@gmail.com.
Kim Carver
New Contributor

OFFICIAL Crew Available/Crew Wanted Thread

Post by Kim Carver »

R2AK is not for everyone, and is not doctor-recommended. Before considering R2AK, please go to R2AK.com and review the pages "Participant Qualifications" and "Equipment Requirements."

https://r2ak.com/participant-qualifications.com

https://r2ak.com/register/equipment-requirements/

Guidelines for posting in this thread:

Crew Available
1. Start with "Crew Available" on your post
2. Write "First Leg" or "Full Race"
3. Your contact info, including where you live (accessibility for team training)
4. BRIEFLY list your skills/experience that might contribute to an R2AK team

Crew Wanted
1. Start with "Crew Wanted"
3. Your team lead's contact info, including area where the team might train.
4. Describe your boat, and related experience by current crew members.
[/color]
Last edited by Kim Carver on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ted
New Contributor

Re: THIS IS THE OFFICIAL Crew Available/Crew Wanted Thread

Post by Ted »

CREW AVAILABLE
FULL RACE
BASED: Seattle

Qualifications:
I am a Race to Alaska finisher (Team Excellent Adventure). I am considering what role I might have in the 2016 race, and everything is on the table. I mean everything. Open to going with Bill again, if he goes. Open to a fast boat. Open to going with you. Also, I own the same model kayak Mike used. Just sayin. It's all on the table.

I work hard, learn fast, get along with everyone.

I'd love to chat, especially with Salish Sea-based teams with boats that point well, about how I might be involved in their R2AK 2016 lunacy.

Thanks folks!
Pfillion
New Contributor

Looking for an extra crew member?

Post by Pfillion »

Hello!

I wish to participate to the 2016 race. I am currently based in Victoria BC. I'm an RCM-SAR member and have some sailing experience as well.

I got the time, the skills but no boat so if you need an extra crew member, lease shoot me an email at Patrick_fillion@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Pat
Kim Carver
New Contributor

Post by Kim Carver »

CREW WANTED:

They haven't posted here, but according to their bios, these two teams are looking for one crew each:

Sistership - must identify as female and be over 50

Lost Boys - no criteria specified

Find them on Facebook or Twitter. I'm not aware of other ways to contact them.
hankstamper
New Contributor

Post by hankstamper »

I have to say that I'm somewhat amused by the self-ordained official status of this thread, but in any case....

Crew Wanted for full race:
Portland Oregon based crew, but no restrictions so long as you can travel and are 100% committed. Looking for a crew of 3-4 in total. I have a couple of folks that are interested, but have not set anything in stone. this is a co-op campaign, team is expected to share common expenses and bear own personal expenses. We're pretty early in the process, so every aspect is up for discussion. I've secured two sponsors already and on the hunt for more.

Contact me at hankstamper64 AT gmail for more.

Boat:
1961 Schock 25. The boat is in process of being updated and made race ready. Classic plastic at its finest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kim Carver
New Contributor

Post by Kim Carver »

hankstamper wrote:I have to say that I'm somewhat amused by the self-ordained official status of this thread, but in any case....
I'm usually good for a laugh :lol:
I run the social media for the NWMC, R2AK and the Wooden Boat Foundation. Thanks for using this thread instead of starting new threads far and wide and possibly missing out on finding crew! Good luck!
JohnAThompson
New Contributor

Team Ghost Rider

Post by JohnAThompson »

Crew Wanted
Full Race

I am planning on putting together a team for the 2016 Race to Alaska. I have one fellow lunatic, and need two more. You must know how to sail! No free rides. Everyone drives the boat. Hypothermia, hunger and sleep deprivation guaranteed. And an adventure worth writing home about also guaranteed. The boat is in Olympia, WA so you'll have to come here to meet us and see if you're a fit. We need the right chemistry as well as talent.
2015 Eagle Island Race 2.jpg
I'm not shooting to win. I just plan on finishing in a respectable position. We'll buy our own damn steak knives. I plan on driving 24 hours when the currents and weather allow, anchoring and resting when they don't. My boat is a Harmony 22, a bilge-ballasted dagger board MORC racer built in 1979. She's fast in light airs, so I've been trying to piss off the wind Gods. I sank her once in a freak storm, so I'll never sacrifice safety. She has been completely refurbished with new mast, rigging, sails, all deck equipment, etc. She's solid as a rock. I'll add a storm jib and upgrade the hatches and electronics for the race.

So, if you're as seriously deranged as I am, please shoot me an email at johnthompson77@hotmail.com.

I am also looking for someone who can bring the boat back down after the race. Think of it as a free bareboat charter...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JohnAThompson on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Editors
Site Admin

Official Crew Available/Wanted Thread (R2AK)

Post by Editors »

R2AK is not for everyone, and is not doctor-recommended. Before considering R2AK, please go to R2AK.com and review the pages "Participant Qualifications" and "Equipment Requirements."

https://r2ak.com/participant-qualifications.com

https://r2ak.com/register/equipment-requirements/

Guidelines for posting in this thread:

Crew Available
1. Start with "Crew Available" on your post
3. Your contact info, including where you live (accessibility for team training)
4. BRIEFLY list your skills/experience that might contribute to an R2AK team

Crew Wanted
1. Start with "Crew Wanted"
3. Your team lead's contact info, including area where the team might train.
4. Describe your boat, and related experience by current crew members.
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
satchel
New Contributor

Crew Available Full Race

Post by satchel »

Crew Available Full Race 2016
Name: Satchel D.

Looking for a Bay Area crew to train and race with. Offshore cruising, racing and open water rowing experience. Young and fit, but willing to admit what I don't know. Naval Architect/boatbuilder by trade and happy to help prep/refit the boat!