Building 417 from Plans

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

jhippe
Regular Contributor

Re: Building 417 from Plans

Post by jhippe »

The joy of the build has returned. After the past few frustrating days in the Hippe Scampworks, today was a bit of a turning point. Working on the stem, B1, B2, and B3, I had been having difficulty getting everything lined up -- especially between B2-B4. What I realized I was doing was trying to adjust too many variables at one time. For instance, I was trying to get B2 plum and square to the stem while also ensuring that it was placed just right that the cabin top line was correct between B2 through B4. This turned out to be a fools errand. Since this is not a kit, there are no nifty tabs to keep everything lined up while making adjustments.

So, today I decided to address one issue at a time. The stem was correctly positioned so I went to work on B2. I got that plumb and square and then screwed it into place with temporary cleats. Next was B3 and then B1. This worked a treat. No more frustration. Simply work with a purpose and results.

The cabin top line is a bit off. B3 is ending up a bit low. This will be simple to address once everything is glued in. I will first bevel B2 and B4 to create solid landing for the cabin top. Then I will simply work B2 down to the point that all three bulkheads line up.

One thing you might see in the picture is that I attached the cleats for B1 but forgot to make allowance for the deck supports. The cleats are only screwed in so can take off and cut down to proper size.

You will also see that I have partially filled in the gap with 3mm plywood. This will be glued into place before filleting.
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Jhippe- your build is looking great and getting all the bulkheads in is a milestone. Nice work so far!
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Its been slow going due to traveling for work and family obligations but I was able to get in the shop a bit today to work on the access hatches for B3. I had purchased Davey & Co brass butt hinges from R&W rope so I cut in the recesses for the hinges using chisel and router plane.

Temporarily screwed them in. Will drill, fill, drill later. Screws are a bit long in the hatches so will either need to find shorter screws or file them down. Also gasket will be installed later.
hatches.jpg
hatches 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

It has been too long since I was out in the Scampworks but today I got some time and glued in the stem, B1, B2, and B3. Feels good to be making progress again.
IMG_0210.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Got out in the Scampworks for a short time today. Did some more filleting around the forward bulkheads. I had temporary screw blocks attached to hold everything in place so had to remove those and fillet in the missing areas. Very pleased with how everything is coming together.

One are that I have been quite worried about and lost sleep over is that it appeared as if the bulkheads would not line up properly for the cabin top between B4-B2. Every time I laid a straight edge across the three bulkheads something seemed to be out of alignment. Well, after getting everything glued in I took a sheet of 6mm plywood, not shaped, and laid it across the three bulkheads. I then reached through and pulled down on the edges to get the camber. Well, everything seems to line up properly! Whew. This is a huge weight off my mind.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Yesterday my daughters and I got to go to Green Bay to listen to Howard Rice talk about his trip to Tierra del Fuego. What a fantastic opportunity for us! We got to talk with Howard and explore his boat. Walked away with some very useful ideas. One of which is to install a deck prism forward of the mast to provide illumination in the forward storage area. Amazing how much light that little prism provided. Howard also demonstrated his anchoring system and re-boarding system, both of which I will utilize on my current boat and my Scamp.

Today I got a couple of hours out in the Scampworks and started fabricating the parts for the mast box and fiddling with the support pieces for the cabin top. Turns out that something is out of alignment on the port side. After much faffing about I decided that I needed to move the dado for the support beam on B2. Doing this brought everything into alignment fore and aft. As you can see in the pictures, I still need to take the dado lower on B2 in order to bring the support piece lower to connect with B3. You will also notice that the support pieces are wider than necessary. I will install and then trim down to correct size. I will take of most of the excess before installing.
IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0263 (1).jpg
IMG_0264 (2).jpg
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

After being on the road for buisness the past few weeks, I am finally back home with a few days to spend in the Scampworks before I head off to Texas for the TX200 sailing a borrowed Saturday Night Special.

I have dry-fitted the mast box and fiberglassed the inside for abrasion resistance. I also dry fitted the transom which seems to look good. When beveling the bottom and sides of the transom, I marked the correct depth and took off most of the material with a drawknife then finished with a jack plane.

Tomorrow I am hoping to epoxy in the mast box, roof and deck beams, and the transom. Then it will be on to cutting the seat and sole cleats.
IMG_0379 1.jpg
IMG_0380 1.jpg
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Tuesday and Wednesday saw me put on another layer of fiberglass on the inside of the mast box and then get the mast box, deck and roof beams, and t he transom installed. I still need to tape the outside edges of the mast box when I remove the clamps. Getting the inside corners of the mast box filleted was a darn fiddly and messy job. I have essentially no overhead clearance and the clamps were in the way. Add to that a shop that is running between 90-98 degrees makes for a grumpy boat builder...Anyway, it got done...mostly. Definitely not pretty but functional. When I take the clamps off and move the boat to where I have more overhead clearance, I will endeavor to do some clean up on the inside. Not too worried because only nosey SOBs like me will poking their noses in to see how cleanly the work was done... :)

While waiting for the epoxy to dry between coats, I started fashioning the seat cleats. I also test fitted the bottom plank on the starboard side and was pleased that it has a pretty good fit. Some gapping amidships but believe this will be fixable by shaving down the aft edge of the plank at the transom. I also have one bulkhead that is standing a bit proud so will take that down as well. I had anticipated this as parts are not as precise when cutting out by hand versus working with CNC precision cut parts of a kit, and there are not tabs to line up everything.
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

You are doing a very good job. I followed your build from the beginning in one night. I built my SCAMP from plans also. There are always a number of quiqs to deal with but they can always be dealt with, with epoxy. In the end no one knows except the boat builder and after a time he or she forgets. It is nice to know there is another SCAMP built in WIS