Build from plans versus kit, looking for advice

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

GregWads
Regular Contributor

Re: Build from plans versus kit, looking for advice

Post by GregWads »

My question relates to dimensions of the mast box. In several of the Kit build photos there are grooves routed into bulkhead 3 for locating the mast box, thus creating a tongue and grove joint. There is another photo that shows a rabbit joint between the front and sides of the mast box. I personally believe the use of a tongue and grove joint for connecting the box to the bulkhead and rabbit joints on the corners would be quite a bit stronger than simple butt/lap joints.

Is it correct to assume the dimensions for the width of the sides of the mast box given on the plans is for building the box with simple but joints?

The next question relates to beveling the frame edges. I found a note stating that plan dimensions of the bulkheads are of the rear face of the bulkhead. Which means bulkheads 6 & 7, if cut per the plans, will have no allowance for beveling. I believe the bevel dimensions for bulkhead 1 and the transom are given on the plans.

Did you cut the bottom and sides of frames 6-7 a couple of millimeters proud to allow for beveling?

I waffled on this decision for quite some time. In fact my wife commented several times, wondering if I intended to actually ever take the plunge. I like others opted for plans primarily due to shipping costs. I also fair a bit of woodworking experience. My greatest achievement of designing and building Cedar 72" round table for the deck, because she couldn't find one she liked. After 25 years of weather the Cedar top rotted away. I saved the 4 tapered Legs to use for supporting the Scamp base jig.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Build from plans versus kit, looking for advice

Post by Peter E »

The butt joints on the mast box are fine. I used fiber glass cloth for reinforcement on the outside and fillets on the inside. Plenty strong. The only thing i would change if doing it over is to make the mast box 1/2" wider. The block that goes around the mast was a little thin on the sides. My mast was 3" od.