SCAMP Skills Academy Aug 2014

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP Skills Academy Aug 2014

Post by simeoniii »

Fantastic three days.

4 SCAMPS cruising around, three to a boat, lots of learning and practicing of skills, and great fellowship.

Thanks to everyone that made this possible!

SCAMP #1, (Josh's) Howard & John
Noddy, #11, Simeon
Luna, #162, Dale & Chris
Little Tramp, #127, Phil

Saturday, a cruise to Ratt Island; Sunday a sail to the beach at Old Fort Townsend, near the Paper Mill.

We're rolling into the SCAMP Camp 6 today, for two weeks, with the Red Lantern Rally next weekend

More to follow on this thread soon...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by simeoniii on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
mrogers
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Skills Academy Aug 2014

Post by mrogers »

The “SCAMP” skills academy was a fabulous experience with a great bunch of people. Every one had something to contribute and was very supportive. It was also fun to meet face to face some people who I know only thru this message board and only by their handles. I gained confidence in my sailing and learned how to improve virtually every element of my skill. And more importantly learned to correct some errors and misconceptions that I have held for a long time.
Thank you to everyone who made this possible and who participated.
If you are going to be sailing for three days in a row.... don't forget sun screen on your lips
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

A few more photos... Dale & Chris slept aboard their Luna at the Point Hudson Marina, as I did on Noddy Saturday night. Here are a few shots from Sunday morning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

A few more photos...

Dan Thompson, Victoria B.C, is in the final completion stages of his build of #72
Roger Slagle, Sequim WA, is not far behind with his #177
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
godocgo
Regular Contributor

Post by godocgo »

Really fun and useful 3 days
Everybody from 1st time scampers to Howard and John added something
godocgo
Regular Contributor

Post by godocgo »

more photos
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Wow, Scampalicious!!

Kudos to Howard and John: it's an incredible pleasure to get to hang out with such mastery, and examples of excellence in learning, teaching and sharing!! And, a huge thanks to all my comrades and compatriots, you're OK, too! :-)

I'm still processing photos but I'll dump a few in here, and you can always see "way too many" on my Flickr photo stream, as I get them online.

Our first morning was a good "classroom" session and discussion, and then the wind started to fill in, so we got into the boats:
ImageJohn Welsford ("the designer"!) and John Roomes aboard Scamp #1 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
ImageRob at the helm of Noddy, in the foreground of a small parade of Scamps by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
ImageTony calls tactics as Rob drives Noddy in a light breeze by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
ImageChris on the helm, Craig on the sheet, and Howard enjoying a beautiful day on Luna by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
ImageJohn helms Little Tramp, as Phil tends the trim and Roger exclaims "Blue is Fast!" by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
Imagelet's heat it up a bit... by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
ImageLuna #162, with Chris, Craig and Howard aboard by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Cheers,
Dale
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

I can speak for both John and myself when I say we always feel so privileged to work with such nice people. In our collective experience SCAMP owners are so interesting, respectful, funny and open minded. We both may impart a little knowledge but we also learn a tremendous amount with each coursed or build we teach. If you buy or build a SCAMP you get a great boat but better yet you join a fine community of folks.

I am looking forward to the Rally this coming weekend in Mystery Bay. All are invited even folks who are just curious or thinking about building or buying a SCAMP.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Howard, JohnW, all the rest of you Scampers, what great photos and looks like such fun! Keep on having fun, guys. "Oh, the places you'll go......"

You made me smile this morning and I needed that!

Love, Jackie Monies The Red Scamp
SCAMP98
New Contributor

Post by SCAMP98 »

Thank you Howard, John and the rest of the participants for a wonderful weekend of SCAMP mania. I really enjoyed meeting all of you and sailing these fine boats!

Tony Townsend
League City, TX
SCAMP 98