Login | Register

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Hello All.

Here is a description of the proposed new re-entry method. My hope is that it will prove to be effective and if so be useful on all SCAMP's.

First a note of caution. The method appears to be a solid solution but has not yet been fully tested. It has been done successfully in calm conditions by a wide range of sailors in the recent SCAMP Skills Weekend and was again demonstrated once during the Red Lantern Rally, both times to the amazement of all involved.

The stirrup method I developed for use on other small boats I sail was adapted as a SCAMP method and it is a viable solution but likely not for everyone as it requires knowledge of the steps/moves and requires practice plus some degree of flexibility and upper body strength.

The new method requires little upper body strength and flexibility. As the designated (very tongue in cheek;-) SCAMP test pilot I will begin sea trials aboard my new boat (#2) next month. I am considering the method for set up on my boat and therefore plan to conduct high wind/big wave testing.

The idea is simple and in a sense is a kind of rudimentary elevator that automatically lifts the sailor up and out of the water.

Genesis:
One late evening I stood head scratching and creating (as I often do) next to my build and began thinking there has to be a better way to re-enter. I stopped all thoughts of stirrups and ladders and instead thought of what was already carried on board for other uses. I mentally went through a list and stopped at "dock lines."

I then looked at the boat set up (cleats) thought dock line and strung a line between the fore most cleat and the aft cleat and the light bulb in my head flashed on and the method followed quickly.

A week later I presented the untested concept to the recent Skills Weekend group and "we" took it to the water and collaboratively talked it through and then tested it time after time successfully. It was a revelation of sorts.

Now my objective is to keep it as simple as can be with the thought that if it proof of concept testing turns out successfully then we might have the right solution. My hope is that if successfully tested that everyone sailing a SCAMP will have it pre-rigged and on the ready at all times.

Here it is.
Set up and options:
4 options are currently under consideration. 1" non stretch web strap may be used in place of line.
I am thinking through options for line or webbing and deck set up but for now believe the simplest is best until testing is completed. The line may end up retractable, shock corded etc for stowage out of the way.

Option 1-
- Two pieces of 10' of non stretch line, 1/2" seems right. Braided line is best because it is smooth and smooth line is a plus in this application.
Option 2-
- 4 pad eyes, bolts, backing plates.
- 4 clips or carabiners
- Two pieces of 10' of non stretch 1/2" braid line.
Option 3-
-- Two pieces of 11"-12' of non stretch 1/2 braid line.
-- 2 pad eyes
-- 2 clips or carabiners
Option 4-
-- Two pieces of 9'6" of non stretch 1/2 braid line.
-- Two pieces of small diameter spectra or other similar line about 8" long.

Set up option 1-
Tie one end of the line to the forward cleat on each side of the boat (one line each side) and the other end to the aft cleat each side of the boat.

Set up option 2-
Mount two through bolted pad eyes. The forward one should be 2" aft of the forward cleat, the aft 4" forward of the aft cleat. These must be through bolted and not screwed. Backing plates needed. Add clips or carabiners to each end of the line to snap to the pad eyes. Overall line length should stay at 10' with the clips added, clip to clip= 10'

Set up option 3-
-- Through bolt a pad eye 2" aft of the forward cleats. Snap on the clip and run the line aft to a 5/8" hole you will drill through the coaming 4" forward of the aft cleat. Pass the line through the hole and tie it off to one of the tie off holes in bulkhead 7. 11 or 12 feet of line should be about right.

Set up option 4-
-- Tie off two small spectra loops on each of the fore and aft cleats. Attach the 1/2 braided line to these loops. Final length of the braid line each side should end up at 10'

In all set ups the lines are stowed in the cockpit under the side deck or as desired.

The method.
1. Right the boat if it capsizes.
2. Reach up and over the coaming for methods 1, 2 and 4 and grasp the line pulling the loop toward you and into the water where it will hang cleat to cleat in the water. In the case of method 3 simply pull the line out through the 5/8" hole until it is fully deployed and hanging in the water.
3. In the case of a port side re-entry grasp the line with your left hand while holding the coaming with your right hand. Place your left foot in the bight of the line and push down while holding the line taut with your left hand. This creates a hard V in the line.
4. Grasp the coaming with both hands.
5. Place your right foot in the bight of the line right next to your left foot.
6. Slowly begin sliding your feet apart and as you do you will begin to be lifted out of the water as the line tightens/shortens. As you do this place your knees against the hull thus creating six points of contact (hands, feet and knees). Your knees will help push your feet out slightly away from the boat and this keeps them from going under the boat. Legs under the boat doesn't work in any re-entry method.
7. When you are at about belly button or so height above the water simply lean forward and roll into the boat on your back feet facing aft. This will enable you to grasp the sheet, tiller or both as needed.
8. Sail away.

I would suggest keeping stirrups and ladders rigged until this method is fully proven. I also suggest rigging the slings on each side and leave them as an "On the ready" safety set up.

Please post any tests you conduct or new ideas here. There are a number of permutations to the suggested set ups listed above. I have heard several that have merit from retracting (elastic hose to climbing gear). I suggest simple is best.

The method is not just for self rescue it may be the best way to get back in the boat after a hot summer swim.

Hope this helps and if proven effective I hope the method may be of value to a wide range of sailors sailing both SCAMP's and other types of small boats. It will likely not work on a number of low freeboard or narrow beam designs.

Best,
howard

Last edited by pocketyacht on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Recognized Old Salt

I've not tried the setup yet but did observe multiple successful re-entries at the SCAMP Skills weekend.

Trying it on dry land (when on trailer), I did notice a severe tendency for the initial foot in the "V" of the line to oscillate back and forth (inboard/outboard), thus making it more difficult to insert the second foot in place. It may not be as much an issue due to the damping effect of the water and less of apparent body weight because of the body buoyancy in the water.

Great concept and I'll be trying it in the water soon. Mystery Bay water is warmish this time of year :lol: Notice the two stalwart ladies in the photo below...

Simeon

Attachments:
Swimmers-P8160038.jpg
Swimmers-P8160038.jpg [ 61.48 KiB | Viewed 1693 times ]

Voyaging with Noddy, #11

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Major Contributor

Howard this is too simple...that is why it will work...no wonder we could not see it....We're Looking for something that is much more complicated. You must be a borderline genius to even think of something like this. Maybe you will go down in History as one of our great thinkers. I am sure the Scamp community is going to be very grateful for the Rice & Dice set-up. Just joking about the name. You have the honer for naming it.

I like the easiest set-up like cleat to cleat .....but I am looking at option #3 also due to the fact that the line is out of sight just running along the out side coaming till needed. The 5/8 Hole the line runs through the Coaming is what I like but the pad eye is not what I really like on the front...maybe just a spliced loop in the line around the cleat would do. Of course you could also have a 5/8 hole there as well... when not needed you just keep the line pull to the inside and it will look neat running along side the the Coaming nice and tight. I believe even cleat to cleat may have to be reinforced to hold the weight of some one standing on this line....

I will be out of the water till November cause of typhoon season but very anxious to try this out.....I can see myself using the set-up and sure that it would work for me.......Hope much testing on the 4 set-ups to know exactly which one is the best before I am back in the water....The best part is that a visitor or family member would know how to get on this without a lot of coaching.

My problem could be that the line will have to be 1/2 polyester and it floats...what is your take on that?.... Braided line is not available here, not even Hemp or Sisal .

Top Top

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Regular Contributor

Anyone brave enough to shoot a video of this new re entry method will be blessed from above by the Scamp Gods…there are many.

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Skiff America 20: Northern Cross
https://hamnegger.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring

Top Top

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Regular Contributor

Wonderfully simple idea Howard !

With "setup option 3", is there not a possibility of the line snagging as it is being pulled through the hole ? It certainly offers the neatest approach on paper, but all the other fixing methods seem to offer a more bullet proof system. Just an armchair observation at the moment ! I will definitely be rigging a version of this system before I am next on the water.

Cheers - John

Top Top

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Josh,

I have the video of the Rice Reentry System that was demonstrated at the Red Lantern Rally on Saturday but the darn thing is so big we couldn't get YouTube to recompile it correctly. It's 105 MBytes. We just spent an hour trying to get it done with no success. It is currently in mp4 format.

How can I send it to you so you can post it?

Kenjamin

p.s. – Please give Sonny Smith credit for shooting the video. I think he may get a kick out of that. It clearly shows the entire process.

Attachment:
RiceReentrySystem.jpg
RiceReentrySystem.jpg [ 127 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]

Top Top

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Hi Kenjamin.
Howard here. Why don't you put it on tube and post the link here?

kenjamin wrote:
Josh,

I have the video of the Rice Reentry System that was demonstrated at the Red Lantern Rally on Saturday but the darn thing is so big we couldn't get YouTube to recompile it correctly. It's 105 MBytes. We just spent an hour trying to get it done with no success. It is currently in mp4 format.

How can I send it to you so you can post it?

Kenjamin

p.s. – Please give Sonny Smith credit for shooting the video. I think he may get a kick out of that. It clearly shows the entire process.

Attachment:
RiceReentrySystem.jpg

Top Top

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Hey Howard,

The video is so large that it would not post on my Youtube account correctly. It's 105MB in mp4 format. It's too large to even send to anyone unless I burn a CD and snail mail it. Sonny is going to try to post it with his PC in the morning. I've got a macintosh and the file got screwed up when we tried to post it on YouTube from my computer. It was shot with a Samsung phone, a galaxy 5 I think.

It plays on my computer just fine but we need to figure out how to lower the resolution before sending it to Youtube, I guess. Like I said, it's almost midnight here now so we will try again in the morning. How did Sunday's session go? We had family obligations so couldn't make it back Sunday.

Top Top

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:46 am

Major Contributor

Well Ken I guess congratulations are in order....you are a Recognized Old Salt now....did you see how many post you have done....Good job and Thanks for all of your comments.

Now you was a camera guy long before Being an Old Salt I thought...If you are having trouble with that video and can't fix then not sure any one else could either. I do hope you can figure it out....I will be watching for it on this forum.

Top Top

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:02 am

Major Contributor

kenjamin wrote:
I have the video of the Rice Reentry System that was demonstrated at the Red Lantern Rally on Saturday but the darn thing is so big we couldn't get YouTube to recompile it correctly. It's 105 MBytes.

Kenjamin:

if you like put the file on a flash drive, or burn to a DVD, and send it to me. i can get the movie posted.

:: Check out the Sage 17 & 15 - http://www.sagemarine.us
::
:: Owner of M17 #375 - SWEET PEA
:: visit SWEET PEA's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

Top Top