Re-Entry method

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Re-Entry method

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Dave, thanks for the offer but we haven't yet explored all our options. My cousin-in-law is going to post it on his Youtube account from his PC and that will probably fly me thinks. We were working on it at 11pm last night and I don't think either one of us were at our best.

Hey Fred, been having a blast here in the Northwest U.S.
Let's see, there was the SCAMP Rally and tour of Port Townsend Saturday, family barbecue Sunday, Mount Rainier Monday and yesterday we did the Boeing Museum of Flight, the Center for Wooden Boats and the Locks. Today is more touring of Seattle and either the Space Needle or the Ferris Wheel or both! Yep, I'd have to say I'm having a pretty darn good time. And that's not even considering the "Presidential Suite" I'm staying in at my cousin's house!
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hang on guys. We're still trying to figure out why this video is not posting properly by itself. It's a work in progress but you can see the video if you go to the last of my posts in Red Lantern Rally thread. It's buried in there with all the other pictures that Sonny Smith shot on Saturday.
Last edited by kenjamin on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

I opened tube and typed in "SCAMP re-entry", and there is the video clip
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

here's the Rice Re-entry System video:

Last edited by kenjamin on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dick Herman
Regular Contributor

Post by Dick Herman »

I use the bow dock line on my 17 foot Sun Cat in a similar way to get a person out of the water. I run the bow dock line aft through a block attached to the aft cleat at the stern. The dunkee stands on the loose line approximately midship and spreads his feet while holding onto the gunwale. I pull on the bitter end of the dock line, taking up,the slack, and lift the dunkee. I call it "the elevator."
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Dick

Sounds like a good solution for two sailors.
This one as you have likely ascertained is operable by the solo sailor who is in the water. The mechanism in this method is the sailors legs as opposed to a person hauling from the cockpit.
Dick Herman wrote:I use the bow dock line on my 17 foot Sun Cat in a similar way to get a person out of the water. I run the bow dock line aft through a block attached to the aft cleat at the stern. The dunkee stands on the loose line approximately midship and spreads his feet while holding onto the gunwale. I pull on the bitter end of the dock line, taking up,the slack, and lift the dunkee. I call it "the elevator."
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

kenjamin:

i fixed the link in your post ... now shows and plays.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Dave, ya done good son!
Dick Herman
Regular Contributor

Post by Dick Herman »

Howard,
The beauty of your system is that it works for the solo skipper. I forgot to mention that I tie an overhand knot in the dock line at the mid point to keep the dunkee's foot from slipping while lifting. I'm wondering if one or two knots tied at critical points would help with your system.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Dick
Good thought and one I have considered. The method under consideration relies on smooth foot sliding side to side so I decided a knot or knots might not be right. The hand holding the line until one foot is in is the key to locating the first foot. Once the foot is in dynamic tension down locates the foot solidly until the other one is slipped in beside it. Once feet are in place begin working them apart and rise up like an elevator of sorts. Two sailors can benefit by the system as they could in lieu of a scoop rescue work opposite each other and re-enter simultaneously without the need to assist one another. If sailing with kids or grand kids they can hang onto the line either side while the strongest person re-enters, they then assist the kids.

Lets keep thinking!

Best to you Dick. I look forward to the next time we hook up!
howard
Dick Herman wrote:Howard,
The beauty of your system is that it works for the solo skipper. I forgot to mention that I tie an overhand knot in the dock line at the mid point to keep the dunkee's foot from slipping while lifting. I'm wondering if one or two knots tied at critical points would help with your system.