SCAMP Skills Weekend- Re-Entry method break through

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP Skills Weekend- Re-Entry method break through

Post by pocketyacht »

We have just concluded the 2nd SCAMP Skills Weekend, which seems to have been successful. I hope course participants might consider posting here to offer their general viewpoints on the course and in particular the capsize, righting and re-entry exercise we conducted.

For the capsize-entry exercise I proposed a new method I have been considering as an alternative to the stirrup method. I recognize some sailors may have issues with the stirrup method given fitness levels and the need to really understand how the method works. It is a highly effective method but requires a number of steps to successfully execute it.

I have believed there had to be a better way based on simplicity.

As it turned out the method I proposed was very successful and I believe in the minds of the participants a quantum leap forward in creating an even safer SCAMP. I proposed that for the capsize recovery exercise we as a group of SCAMP sailors work together to conduct the R/D to test the theory.

I am very pleased that "we" not "I" proofed this new method and proved its merit regardless of height, weight or upper body strength. It was a very fun exercise, co-creation is always fun!

Video of the re-entry method was shot by two participants and a clip of the method should be posted soon by Josh.

This method is so simple as to possibly make one think it could not be effective but it was successful for all participants who tried it. Thank you to the course members for your open minds and collaborative work on making the boat we all like so much a safer boat for all.

Not meaning to sound dramatic but we have a break through!

**I would also like to thank Simeon Baldwin for joining us with his excellent SCAMP Noddy. Thanks Sim! Once again thank you Josh for letting us dip the lovely #1 over and over as the test platform she is!
Last edited by pocketyacht on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Re-Entry method

Post by kenjamin »

Ok, I'm dying of curiosity. Are you sure you can't offer us a short description of the new method?
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Re-Entry method

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Kenjamin
You will see it in action during the Rally and will be able to give it a go if you wish.

I'd prefer not to jot off a brief description as I want to make sure the method is understandable for everyone reading about it so I am writing it up, which will be posted with the video clip. New methods or techniques even though proven in field should be carefully put down on paper with refinements that came in the form of suggestions as we tested. Please stand by. Thanks.

This method has merit for many small boats.
kenjamin wrote:Ok, I'm dying of curiosity. Are you sure you can't offer us a short description of the new method?
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: SCAMP Skills Weekend- Re-Entry method break through

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Howard,

It's just that I'm gluing up a small emergency swim ladder for Gabrielle's stern today and I'm wondering if I should save that mahogany, epoxy, and work time for something else. I'll probably go ahead with the little ladder because it's almost always good to have redundant systems. And my knee has a nasty habit of coming out of joint from side pressure.

Looking forward to meeting you at Red Lantern Rally.

Cheers,
Kenjamin
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

The R&D of the new reentry system was a wonderful and confidence inspiring process. It also emphasized for me the oft repeated , fitness is an essential element of sailing. I was able to do it successfully after adapting my approach to accommodate my well insulated carcase. For me the issue was getting my legs bent high enough to engage the new device. With coaching from Howard,
I was finally able to do that. The issue was not lifting the weight into the boat that was almost magical. This will be a lot more sure method for everyone. And the gear is less complicated and costly. I will leave it to Howard to describe.
Kenjamin: A ladder is not suitable for reentry for a number of reasons. However It may be very useful for boarding off a beach for us “well insulated” types. I suggest designing it with that objective in mind
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Roger,

I'm making a small but very strong swim ladder that will slide down underwater about a foot. By the time I get to the second step up, I should be able to swing my other leg over the transom and be in. It will have some polyethylene tubing along its length on both sides to make it slide easier and to accept wear. It will be another grand experiment but I think it will work fine for me. If it doesn't, I'll try to understand why and then design something better. I'm sort of addicted to experimentation.

Still don't understand why someone can't describe with words what the break through is. I was noticing today that a simple loop of rope around my oarlocks would get me in the boat if my ladder failed me and I really wanted reentry bad enough. The stirrup part could be 1/2" rope so a little uncomfortable but no permanent damage to my feet in an emergency situation. I could store the loops under the oarlocks (already attached and ready for use) so I'll always know where they are – kind of like the original suggested horse stirrup method only made of just rope. Two or three ways of getting in the boat is better for me because I hate sharks and don't want to be their supper.

Just curious. What are the reasons why you think a ladder is "unsuitable?"
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Kenjamin wrote:
"Still don't understand why someone can't describe with words what the break through is."
Hi Kenjamin
No reason other than time. For me the weekend was a full on experience. Then Josh and I sat up late last night debriefing/talking and 4 hours later I was up and getting ready for day one of the 5th SCAMP Camp build. Yawn time for an overdue sleep catch up.

I want to take a few moments to describe the method in a thoughtful manner as there has been so much discussion about the re-entry methods and I want this description to be clear and understandable. Its now almost 10pm after a full day of boat building following three days of teaching with a great bunch of folks. I hope to find a few moments tomorrow to pen something accurate about the method.
Thanks for waiting.
Best,
howard
Last edited by pocketyacht on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

Ken
About stern boarding ladders: Think about the resistance of your body dragging on he stern of a boat with any wind blowing. It will turn the stern to the wind and if you fail at the first grab the next thing you will see is the transom of your boat sailing away from you. Even if you grab it you may not be able to hang on. I haven't experienced it but I know someone who has, it was a power boat and there was someone on the boat to maneuver . It took several tries finally with the propeller backing inches from him to get back on the boat. The boarding ladders that West Marine will be happy to sell us are for people swimming in that beautiful cove or water skiing, calm weather activities. We are talking about the need to re board in extream enough conditions that we would be in the water in the first place.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Roger
Well written description.

I might add that a ladder off the side is also not the solution as the sailors wet weight and subsequent down force when getting up the ladder means the boat will likely heel far too much for a successful re-entry.

Kenjamin please stand by for a brief description of the newly devised method (which I believe will be difficult to pen clearly given my tight schedule, the video clip will help and I don't have it). Not trying to be coy. Just wanted to let folks know that the breakthrough was discovered, tested and will be published soon. Hope you understand.
Best,
howard
mrogers wrote:Ken
About stern boarding ladders: Think about the resistance of your body dragging on he stern of a boat with any wind blowing. It will turn the stern to the wind and if you fail at the first grab the next thing you will see is the transom of your boat sailing away from you. Even if you grab it you may not be able to hang on. I haven't experienced it but I know someone who has, it was a power boat and there was someone on the boat to maneuver . It took several tries finally with the propeller backing inches from him to get back on the boat. The boarding ladders that West Marine will be happy to sell us are for people swimming in that beautiful cove or water skiing, calm weather activities. We are talking about the need to re board in extream enough conditions that we would be in the water in the first place.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Yes Howard.... you have me all ears and eyes as well as Ken...I will be watching for this to be posted asap...Like many other things that we talk about I am a person of doing it now rather than later....It sounds so very interesting...I am always on the look out for improvement....

Roger I don't agree with your statement. The ladder I built works while the boat is still on the trailer due to the typhoons here I have been unable to test it in the water. If built correctly it works.... why are so many sold if it did not work. I can climb back up on it so much more easier that the rope and slide right in like a snake....can't do that with a rope.

Roger you claim they don't work ( ladders)... but neither does the rope boarding ladders work for some. We still need improvements and for me it works better than the rope...and so far the only way that I can get back in....soon I hope to post pictures of it in the water with me climbing on the boat so you can be a believer. Look below if you think it does not work. Can you throw your left leg up there after making one more step up on the ladder?...Well of course you could.

That is a great Scenario about the boat turning in the wind and sailing away and it may well be true... but if the rope can't help you get in what else is there ...let me tell you if I get a hand on that ladder I will get in no mater how much wind is blowing or how fast the boat wants to sail away...I am not planing to give my ladder up yet. Howard it's your play now....We are all Curious.

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... hp?id=3004
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing