Stainless Steel mast too heavy?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

mrogers
Major Contributor

Re: Stainless Steel mast too heavy?

Post by mrogers »

In the “DIY Wood Boat” link the “Built Spars” article states that rectangular spars with a rounded edge are not suitable for a Lug rig. That is not true, Most of the masts I have built over the last 30 years have been some variation of this rectangular spar. Nearly all of them have been Lug rig....my favorite.
Most people I know who build their own spars use some version of this technique.
It doesn't look as nice as a round spar but I have never noticed a problem. The only down side is that it is heavier than a birds mouth or aluminum. I have never had an aluminum spar so I can't compare them.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
willpower
Regular Contributor

Post by willpower »

And in the first referenced Duckworks article, next to the picture titled "gluing up" there is a note that says "never glue up masts with epoxy". There seems to be a slight difference of opinion among mast builders on this matter. Maybe someone who knows more about wood glue than I do could explain. --Will (soon to build mast on #299)
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Will,

Roger and I were in the mast class together at the NW Wooden Boat School and we built the birdsmouth's with epoxy. Unfortunately I missed the actual glue up but the critical part is sighting down the mast to make sure it is straight before leaving the epoxy to cure.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

I have been told that epoxy is brittle, but I think that may date from some of the earlier epoxies. I don't know one way or the other. I have never been able to break an epoxy bond. Perhaps there is a chemist among us who can weigh in in this matter.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Personal observation here: there are literally thousands of Jim Michalak's boats out there built and sailing. Almost 100% probably have square masts and spars because that is what Jim advocates as easiest built. I asked Mike and he said he had never noticed any difference in all the thousands of miles he sailed the Michalak Laguna Dos which had two square masts and spars. Most all of Jim's boats also use lug sails.

Unless he has changed, Michael Storer also used square masts and spars on his designs which also featured lug sails. He has a really good tutorial on making square masts and rigging lug sails.

I asked Mike his own opinion on sailing both designers' boats and he said he couldn't tell any difference in performance with square masts and lugs, they did fine. I also asked about glueing wooden masts. Mike said he uses epoxy, not wood glue or Titebond II which some use. He said he had never had trouble with epoxy glued masts and he liked to use epoxy where woods were stressed.

Hope this helps! By the way, both Michalak, Storer AND Welsford will be here for Sail OK 2014 and doing programs and answering questions on these very subjects.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SailOklahoma/

Best, Jackie Monies (for Mike of course)
Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

Post by Dave Robertson »

Regarding wether epoxy is too brittle to build a mast; I can't imagine where that rumor came from. One of my hobby vices is archery, wherein I build high performance recurve bows. These bows take thousands of tremendous flex and shock cycles and it's virtually unknown to have a problem. The epoxy I use is West System, same as you would use to build a mast. Never fear!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Mike switched to aluminum masts a long time ago on all his boats, hasn't built a wooden mast in years. Both Welsford and Byrnes of B and B advocate aluminum spars and Mike is a big fan.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp