SCAMP Yawl #2

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

mrogers
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Yawl #2

Post by mrogers »

Howard:
Before I put the deck on, what reinforcements did you make to accommodate the yawl rig. I may want to be able to have two rigs and don't want to build that option out of my boat. I am impressed with the lug as designed, in particular I like the simplicity. However I have always wanted a yawl or ketch. The idea of smaller, more manageable sails has a lot of appeal. Like all things in small boats compromise is a fact of life.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Roger

I reinforced the under side enter of the foredeck to accommodate fastening a removable bowsprit (with a lug sail I will be able to sail as a standard SCAMP). The bowsprit I have built slips into a hardwood receiver or socket attached to the front of the cabin and is attached at the front of the fore deck. I have two bow eyes installed. One for trailering and painter and the other very low as the anchor for the bobstay. On the lower is a small bronze turnbuckle.

I am employing running shrouds and have backed below the deck for the hardware that makes this happen (at the cabin sides under the deck), deck thickness at these points is 27mm with a single layer of 6oz kevlar laminated in.

Aft I have a crowned deck across the cockpit that serves as the base for the mizzen mast. It is also for main sail handling hardware, solar panel, running light mount, a key component of the anchoring system and the tent system. The mizzen mast is supported with a king post to the inside of the hull bottom and is set in a mast box.

I have a removable boomkin used to trim the mizzen, which mounts through the starboard side of the transom at the seat level.

There are hardware rigging set ups that make the yawl configuration work smoothly and controllably. I will be able to hoist, strike and change out headsails and control all other sail handling from hoist to strike from the cockpit. Headsails and furler go forward and are retrieved together.

I developed and have used this sail handling system on my sailing canoe Sylph, which can also be sailed in yawl configuration. There is no going forward in a sailing canoe so all sail management forward of the mast was done from the seated cockpit position.

John Welsford and I stood together at the recent Red Lantern rally and were surprised, delighted, amazed and in full head scratch as we watched the skills event and saw adult sized humans crawling up on the foredeck while the boat sailed along. John and I have both done a little of this crawling over the boat but this was an eye opener. Still I don't plan to go to the foredeck so the retrieval system is my choice for safe sail handling.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Howard,

Are you going to make it to Sail Oklahoma?

I hopefully will be there with my SCAMP#83, which I called SCAMP Yawl #2 because I knew that you, Howard, are building the first yawl rigged boat. Mine will be the second yawl rigged boat that I know of so Yawl#2 but not SCAMP#2. I may have muddied the waters a bit by calling my boat the #2 yawl.

In any case, my yawl rig is coming along nicely. I've been able to save time by reshaping my mizzen mast from my Caledonia Yawl and also cutting down my CY's mizzen sail to fit on my SCAMP. I did have to build an exterior mizzen step that will mount on the outside of Gabrielle's stern so that the main's boom will have room to swing through without hitting the mizzen mast. That way I won't have to cut down my existing mainsail.

I was also able to utilize the boomkin from my CY so that has saved even more time and expense. Still, I'm having to buy all matter of little bits and pieces to make it all work. I've also got to come up with a mizzen boom but I think I have some bamboo that will work just fine for that.

Just wish it would stop raining so I could finish installing the sheaves in the top of my mizzen mast. Looks like I'll be inside sewing on the mizzen sail for the next day or two, waiting for better gluing weather.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Got an e-mail from Howard that he is trying to make it. He is, as usual, totally swamped. An amazing, amazing man!

Love, Jackie Monies- Sail OK 2014
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Jackie.
Not so much swamped as awaiting travel orders for Micronesia, which may require a short trip departing this Saturday with a tentative return on the 13th. It may be that the trip doesn't happen until November 3rd, we'll see.

Hardly amazing at anything, better thought of as amazed;-) or dazed.
Monies wrote:Got an e-mail from Howard that he is trying to make it. He is, as usual, totally swamped. An amazing, amazing man!

Love, Jackie Monies- Sail OK 2014
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

No worries.
I suggest that SCAMP's be referred to either by name or assigned hull/sail number. Now there are some 300 + SCAMP plans, kits and Gig Harbor boats out there and the class is growing. My boat is just #2 and will be christened with a name when launched.

As a yawl my boat is also not class legal for any possible future one design events unless I switch the rig out. I have built two spars for this purpose and also have a new Pryde lug sail awaiting.

My yawl is an anomaly as far as I see it. I chose the split rig, specifically a yawl for the attributes it offers over the known downsides for the place I am going. The lug rig didn't add up. As John Welsford is so apt to say, "it is best to choose a boat suited to purpose."

The stock SCAMP lug rig is spot on right and I look forward to switching my yawl to lug in the future and back as desired.

kenjamin wrote:Hey Howard,

Are you going to make it to Sail Oklahoma?

I hopefully will be there with my SCAMP#83, which I called SCAMP Yawl #2 because I knew that you, Howard, are building the first yawl rigged boat. Mine will be the second yawl rigged boat that I know of so Yawl#2 but not SCAMP#2. I may have muddied the waters a bit by calling my boat the #2 yawl.

In any case, my yawl rig is coming along nicely. I've been able to save time by reshaping my mizzen mast from my Caledonia Yawl and also cutting down my CY's mizzen sail to fit on my SCAMP. I did have to build an exterior mizzen step that will mount on the outside of Gabrielle's stern so that the main's boom will have room to swing through without hitting the mizzen mast. That way I won't have to cut down my existing mainsail.

I was also able to utilize the boomkin from my CY so that has saved even more time and expense. Still, I'm having to buy all matter of little bits and pieces to make it all work. I've also got to come up with a mizzen boom but I think I have some bamboo that will work just fine for that.

Just wish it would stop raining so I could finish installing the sheaves in the top of my mizzen mast. Looks like I'll be inside sewing on the mizzen sail for the next day or two, waiting for better gluing weather.
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

Howard, It's very thought provoking to read the description of your Scamp. I would love to see some pictures to verify my mental image. I'm sure you'll share much more when your satisfied with all your modifications. I would love to be on hand for the maiden voyage.

I can already see a second Scamp build on my horizon when I've gotten enough experience in my own Scamp in a balanced lug sail scamp. In Scamp #2 I envision the Swiss Army knife of Scamps, which as a technology junky sounds fantastic (as does the aluminum Scamp, the bird wing mast, etc., etc.). I figure in a couple years I'll take my favorite ideas from all the posts and experience (the interchangeable sail plans being already high on the list) and build my own Swiss Army Knife of a Scamp and keep my Scamp #119 for grandkids and visitors.

I am in the stage of preparing my bare stud garage in to an insulated, sheet rocked and heated garage. I'v needed a good excuse to make a good workshop and Scamp is the perfect excuse. Hope to be back to boat building by the first of November.

John S.