Scamps at Sail Oklahoma 2014

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Scamps at Sail Oklahoma 2014

Post by Monies »

Short, fast report on Sail OK 2014 and Scamps in particular. Seeing multiple Scamps here was just a joy. Getting to see Kenjamin's Scamp was something that brought a smile to my face. along with Paul Breeding's beauty "Forever Young". The Scamps, which I will post photos of or hopefully their owners will, were truly beautiful and of course sailed so well on the lake.

The take apart oars went to a Scamp owner, the Scamp plans went to someone wanting to build one who took John Welsford's epoxy class, it was so neat that the people who won the donations which we used to raise money for the American Cancer Society were people who REALLY wanted the items.

It stormed and rained and the yard turned to mud but the event went on.
We moved to the Boat Palace and the designers educated people, along with some excellent builders' presented programs. The designers, the people, the boats that came were so extraordinary it is hard to grasp.

You should have been at Boatstock. It was a life enriching opportunity.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamps at Sail Oklahoma 2014

Post by Monies »

The sun is out and I have not gone and looked at how much water is in the Red Scamp this time! We moved the Core Sound 20 back into shop but it got cover blown off. All the covers pretty much blew off and we had more wind and rain.

The awnings for popup tents blew off, the frames look damaged. I may need new ones but no boats sank or got damaged so far as I know. Everyone faired OK and learned a lot, even some sailing got done.

More and photos coming I hope!

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

What you say more photos coming?....i am still waiting for the first ones.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Sorry Fred, I have been mostly cleaning up, with a lot of help! Mike has been washing and moving boats, stuff is all over the place. We are trying to get to the plyWooden Boat Festival down in Texas with the Red Scamp. We will get some photos posted or maybe some attendees will.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

In collecting my thoughts about Sail Oklahoma, the main thing that impressed me was that suddenly I had about twenty or so new friends who were curious about my boat and were wishing me success with my birdwing mast. Being able to corner John Welsford and bounce a few ideas off of him was definitely icing on the cake. Also caught Richard Woods down at the beach and had a great talk with him also. Then there were the talks given by the many other designers who attended – fascinating stuff.

My biggest regret was not taking more pictures. There was a guy who took a lot of pictures and he told me he was sort of the official photographer for the event so I didn’t devote much time to photography. Hopefully his pictures will make there way here to the forum eventually.

Had to miss Saturday entirely to visit my brother and sister-in-law in Arkansas but they had been wanting me to visit their home on Beaver Lake for years now so crossed that one off the bucket list. We had a very nice visit.

But on the last day of the event I went for an epic sail with a couple of guys aboard Gabrielle and she finally got to show her stuff. I had a large hunk of hockey playing Canadian bacon on the rail, my Florida flab midship, and a razor-sharp, crafty lawyer on the tiller. With the new yawl rig, we all had strings to pull and it was a blast!!! A stiff breeze gave us just about all the excitement we could handle without reefing. And Gabrielle took flight. Some other boats took pictures of us flying her genoa, curvy main, and her new mizzen but I’m still waiting and hoping to see some of them.

Gabrielle did really well. We were actually overtaking a longer waterline Welsford boat before she popped out her headsail but even then we stayed with her pretty darn well. We had the blue SCAMP ahead of us and we seemed to be able to creep up on her but it certainly wasn’t any kind of official race. Don’t know how hard they were trying or anything. I was just very grateful that my birdwing SCAMP could keep up with the two boats ahead of us.

Sure hope the pictures eventually make it to the forums. I’m dying to see them myself! In the mean time, here’s a shot of John Welsford and Matt Layden (Paradox) and another of the raffle drawing for prizes that contributed ticket money to the Cancer Society. I’m also throwing in a picture of Gabrielle as seen from my fishing buddy’s house after all those miles from Florida to Oklahoma and back again. These are just about the only three pictures I took on the entire trip. I was having so much fun, I forgot all about the camera in my back pocket!

Can’t end this without thanking Mike and Jackie Monies for hosting such a great sailing event. It truly was a very fun event even with all the rough weather. My thanks go to them, their family and friends who made it all possible. It was well worth the trip from Florida.
JohnAndMatt.jpg
Raffle.jpg
GabrielleMastStored.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Thanks Ken for the commentary and the pictures...seems all was having a good time....I see Jackie in the back ground of one picture and with big smiles which tells it all.

The picture with your boat Gabrielle came out great...do I see a boarding ladder on the back of her....if that is so... would love to see some posting of it...or are you hiding it from all the old salts that are so negative on ladders for the Scamp.

German "Just do it"
Tun Sie es einfach
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Fred,

My swim ladder became the basis for my mizzen step when I realized that I had to step the mizzen just beyond the stern exactly where the swim ladder was planned to go. Up-side-down, the mizzen step becomes the gallows to accept one end of my birdwing mast for traveling (like you see it above). I sort of lost interest in the swim ladder thing when I learned how well the Rice recovery sling works. I've put permanent stops on the mizzen step so that it can not extend into the water so it is no longer great as a swim ladder. I have thought about having a floating rope sling at the bottom of what is now the mizzen step so that it could still be used as a swim ladder but haven't gotten around to that yet.

There is much to be said for the traditional ways that old salts embrace with a passion but the idea that things can never improve (due to new materials or building techniques) is just plain stupid and I just have to laugh at that kind of thinking.

One of the big drawbacks of my birdwing rig is having to one-by-one feed the sail slugs into the internal luff groove at the trailing edge of the curvy main mast. With the new yawl rig, the mizzen keeps the boat headed into the wind so that job can be done leisurely and without the boat wanting to sail away half way through the process. Still in hopes of seeing a picture of Gabrielle sailing with all three sails working. That will be salty enough for me. ;)

This just in! A photo of Gabrielle sailing taken and sent to me by Dave Ender (WoodnMetalGuy). Thanks a bunch, Dave! I love that shot.

Best regards,
Kenjamin
Gabrielle0601smREV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kenjamin on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Post by Bchrovers »

That is a great picture of Gabrielle!
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Ken that is one of the best pictures of Gabrielle that you may have. Looks like a mighty Angel flying through the water with her wings fully deployed. Maybe you should be glad the sails are not bigger...That is enough to be a hand full when all three sails are out.
I can just imagine your Gabrielle was a big hit at the Sail Oklahoma. Something to be very proud of....and a big plus was John W got to see it first hand. Can't ask for more than that.

"You Rock" in French....yes you do.
vous basculez
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

By far, Fred, the best picture of Gabrielle sailing. With her yawl rig she is starting to feel like my own personal boat. No more panic in loading sailing slugs into her birdwing main mast. The mizzen keeps her steady into the wind while I mess with that now. Yep, and it was super neat to go over the boat with John Welsford. I think he liked most of what he saw. He did say it was the most modified SCAMP that he had ever seen. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen. Gabrielle was certainly sailing well in that picture even though the fairleads for the genoa headsail were in the wrong place. We had to loop the headsail sheet around an oarlock to get any power out of it. But we made do with what we had and she rewarded us nicely – best sail of my life.

Special thanks to Dave Ender (WoodnMetalGuy) for getting that photo. (You done good, son!)