Newbie Question - Actual Length/Width/Height?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

alienbogey
Regular Contributor

Newbie Question - Actual Length/Width/Height?

Post by alienbogey »

I'm contemplating building a SCAMP, and it would be much more pleasant to build it in my basement workshop rather than detached garage. Which leads me to my question: What are the actual dimensions of the boat once built?

I ask because there are two doorways that the completed boat must clear to make it out of the shop, and I'm aware that very often dimensions quoted are nominal. Often a "12 foot" boat is 12'8" or 11'6" or whatever.

I don't want to build a ship in a bottle, so I'd like to know the actual length/width/height so I know where to build it.
Last edited by alienbogey on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrogers
Major Contributor

Re: Newbie Question - Actual Length/Width/Height?

Post by mrogers »

The dimensions of my boat are 144” long, 33” wide, 46 high. Allow an inch or so for tape sag or calc. Errors, height for instance cannot be measured directly. But these numbers are not the only consideration. If you have corners to go around or stairs to deal with your solution is a bit more complicated. If you have corners or angles the only safe thing to do is draw a scale plan view on cardboard, and a scale floor plan. Next move you're scale boat thru the scale building paying special attention to the rotation points. Remember the boat will weigh about 500 pounds and is hard to get a grip on in some places.
I recommend that you read what “pocketyacht” wrote about sub assembly's in “ message board for in progress scamps” on this page of the message board. Much of your work will be on these assembly's,
do that in your basement. Assemble the whole boat in your garage. An organized tool tote to move your tools between both locations will be much better unless your basement is a straight pick it up and move it proposition. Remember you need room to roll the boat over during construction. And you need room for assembly's and spreading parts out to cure, dry or sand.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
PASAILOR
New Contributor

Post by PASAILOR »

Keep epoxy work in the garage. Well ventilated at that. Epoxy fumes in the house are a no-no in my opinion.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Good advice from Roger, except he must have mis-measured the width of Pumpkin.

Noddy measures in at 12' length, 5'-7" wide & 47" high (to cabin top, taking into account the rocker of the skegs)

SCAMP slides well on her skegs, especially if they are shoed with UHMW. Below is a shot of Noddy when temporarily moved out of the shop at NW Maritime Center on a movers dolly. Balance is everything...

Simeon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

Wow Simeon....I don't even know where I got 33" it wasn't even other scratching on the paper. Gota go my wife wants me to balance the check book...
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
alienbogey
Regular Contributor

Post by alienbogey »

Thanks for the replies.

The good news is that it's a straight shot out of the basement, the bad news is that the widest opening possible, after removing the doors, is 5'2".

Also, I hadn't thought about fumigating the house with epoxy fumes.

Also, sub-assemblies would be a good approach.

HOWEVER, today I visited Gig Harbor Boatworks and saw their fiberglass Scamp. It's really really really really really really nice. :o
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

alianbogey
You will be sailing before me, and the cost is about the same....just faster.
Roger-Scamp177
WoodnMetalGuy
Regular Contributor

Post by WoodnMetalGuy »

alienbogey -

Regarding the door width, I have the same situation, a set of double doors from my basement workspace out into the garage that is a few inches narrower than the beam of the boat.

I had thought I could remove the doors altogether, and maybe then remove the frame, and then worst case cut out a bit of the supports with a sawzall. Messy, but doable.

But then I realized the boat is quite a bit shorter than it is wide, so I'm going to tip it up on edge and put it on a movers dolly to roll it out when the time comes. Should easily clear the doorway without taking anything apart...
-- Dave

Sail #243
CLC Chesapeake 17LT, Chesapeake 14, Sassafras 12
Building blog: http://woodnmetalguy.blogspot.com
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Dave, I was going to say that when I was writing an article a long time ago for Duckworks I knew of a builder who did just that, remove and replace doors, in fact cut out wall as you mentioned. But tilting a boat is easier!

I always wonder if that is how Jethro on NCIS gets the boats out of his basement?

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Alien bogey,

Have a look at the April 12, 2012 posting #24 mayfly emerges - the boat is on its side and coming through a narrow basement door, up a short flight of stairs and around a bend with some railings thrown in. After that I think anything is possible.

Cheers,

Dan