Jig materials and upgrades

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Desert_Sailor
Regular Contributor

Jig materials and upgrades

Post by Desert_Sailor »

Bought the kit but had to crate everything up for a move. Plywood survived move and storage but MDF is toast (probably condensation) so I need to build the jig from scratch.

2 questions:

1. I've seen OSB in photos here--would 5/8" OSB, suitably braced, be sufficient?

2. Where and how should the jig be improved over the basic MDF one that comes with the kit (if at all)?

Any ideas and suggestions gratefully appreciated. Finally able to really get after this thing...
fred4win
Major Contributor

Re: Jig materials and upgrades

Post by fred4win »

Desert_Sailor I missed something some where..maybe particleboard.....too many acronyms...or maybe I am just to stupid to understand. you be my judge.

What's up in Spanish
Qué pasa
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

MDF, medium density fiberboard, a glorified paper product.
OSB, oriented strand board, comes in various grades from packing material to structural sheets, kind of a chip-board. See topic "Building Scamp 58" for OSB jig.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Thank you HappyDog...Some people think that I know every thing so they don't clarify what they are talking about. At my age I should know every thing and I believe many of the posters think that is true....I must assure you and the others to be more explicit with to many non-words. Have sympathy on me.

''that's a downer'' in German
das ist ein Wermutstropfen
Desert_Sailor
Regular Contributor

Post by Desert_Sailor »

Agree or disagree: 5/8" OSB, properly braced, should be sufficient for the jig, given that the loads are mostly compressive.

[No worries, Fred...]

Seems the tricky part is getting some support under the centerboard trunk area in such a way that you can remove it later when you want to test the centerboard fit/function. Have to think about that.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Fred, I thought about you tonight. Charlie Brown in Peanuts is looking at their standings in football. Linus says, "Winning isn't everything" and Charlie Brown replies "Losing isn't anything."

Is that where you got your signature?

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Thank You Jackie for pointing that out to me...was not aware of that with Charlie Brown in Peanuts.....First of all I am not much of a fan for Cartoon Characters. I just have more serious issues to deal with in life than to fantasize.

My signature was all my own...Just made that up from my own life experiences....I always feel the joy when I come out ahead on any thing I do....I always try to do my best with every thing and if it falls short I have no joy then....Of course I never win every time....but I try. Even my email name as fredtowin. When I fall short I have to say to myself that I will either try harder next time and analyze what I did wrong to make improvements. So when people tell you winning is not every thing, hope they forgive me if I don't believe them. It's what makes the world go around.

Jackie I feel so blessed that you was thinking of me...I often think of you and read all of your post...what a blessing you have also been to this forum and the sail boat community....I feel YOU and I mean that in a big way...is the real winner in my eyes.

Great Kind Heart you have in Spanish
gran buen corazón tienes

and remember