Winter Capsize

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

RJK
Regular Contributor

Re: Winter Capsize

Post by RJK »

I'm happy to hear the Lehr started on first pull. I been making due with a set of carbon oars I had. I'm more and more thinking about a small outboard. I hate the smell of gasoline or diesel fuel aboard a sailboat and felt the oars might be a solution. Though our BCC has a diesel I frequent use a sculling oar. The idea is to practice for possibility of doing away with the Yanmar some day. Something that will never happen, I'm sure. The SCAMP isn't a great rowing boat as others have certainly discovered. I think a outboard is in Red Eyes future. So far, I'm managed to sail into the bay and back to the dock, but a long row being required isn't out of the question.
The Lehr and the Honda are at the top of my list, but the Lehr is attractive being a propane fueled motor. Have you generally been happy with the motor?
Rick Kincaid
SCAMP
S/V Red Eye 245
Dick Herman
Regular Contributor

Re: Lehr

Post by Dick Herman »

Mixed reviews on the Lehr. It usually starts on the first or second pull, but idles at 2000 rpm. A bottle lasts 2 to 2.5 hours at 3 to 4 knots, and is easy to change, once you get the hang of it. I towed a Potter 15, and the bottle lasted less than two miles. On the plus side, the bottles are easy to store and a lot less messy than petrol. And a big yes! on the environmentally friendly.

Would I buy one again? Probably for the Scamp but not for my catboat, which displaces 1500 pounds. (I use a 4.5 HP with an external tank that has a designated lazarette.)
RJK
Regular Contributor

Post by RJK »

Dick....Thanks for the review. I hear from people that love them and a few that say they aren't ready for prime time. I see that 2000 rpm idle as a bit of a problem. I sure like the idea of it though. Thanks Rick
Rick Kincaid
SCAMP
S/V Red Eye 245
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

Commenting to bump this topic...