SCAMPs in Everglades Challenge?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMPs in Everglades Challenge?

Post by kenjamin »

Jackie Monies says B. Frank will be participating and I wondered if there will be any others. Living here in Northeast Florida, I've followed the race for several years now and have dreamed of entering the event but still do not feel ready for such an undertaking. My sailing here in St. Augustine is about as safe as it can get with its protected waters and plenty of boat traffic if you do get in trouble. I do not even own a GPS. Sort of view the EC Challenge as something to work towards but nothing you want to rush into. Maybe I'll be ready next year.

In the final analysis, I spend much too much time building boats rather than sailing them. But I'd love to hear from Steve and any other folks who will be taking the plunge in the EC. My biggest questions are what will you be wearing and what electronic devices will you be carrying? Thanks in advance if you find the time to respond.
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMPs in Everglades Challenge?

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

I'm pretty sure B.Frank isn't going to be in the EC this year... I do believe Steve plans to be at the start to watch the madness... Marty started a thread here about ways he prepared Fat Bottom Girl for the EC last year. And, there was another following FBG during the EC. Also, there have been SCA articles about Mike & Andrew Linn and Marty & his son doing the EC in their SCAMPs.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

No, not Steve and B. Frank but Marty. I am pretty certain Marty is on my list of Class 4 boats signed up and paid for this year's EC. Just looked and he is. I am going to write up an article for Duckworks on the Class 4 boats as soon as the confirmation deadline is passed and the list is firm.

Watertribe has an equipment list for both the boats and the crews which has to be met at the Friday inspection and if you fail they give you a second chance to get what you need. But that is NOT a good time to find that out!

Ditto food, emergency, safety, all spelled out in detail. In truth, any boater would be well served to conform to their lists because it can be the difference in life and death. Seriously.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Thanks Jackie for the clarification except Marty is the guy's name not his boat, right? What's his boat's name?

Ok, I'll check my back issues of SCA for those articles. Thanks

Yep, seeing the start this year would be a good thing to do. I might have to bop over there and check it out. Thanks again.
WoodnMetalGuy
Regular Contributor

Post by WoodnMetalGuy »

Kenjamin - I believe Marty's boat is 'Fat Bottom Girl'
-- Dave

Sail #243
CLC Chesapeake 17LT, Chesapeake 14, Sassafras 12
Building blog: http://woodnmetalguy.blogspot.com
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Well, I will be there too and these are about the nicest people you will ever meet.
Marty's Watertribe name is OfftheCharts and his partners name is Dr.Demento.

He is only Scamp registered and if you go to Watertribe site you can click on "rosters" and see all entered boats. Class 4 are monohulls. You do not have to belong to Watertribe to read their site but you do not have to enter a race to belong to Watertribe. I am a member and have been but will never enter a race.
There are no fees to join.

Watertribe is a source of great information about all forms of boating and boats.
There are articles in both Small Craft Advisor and Duckworks Magazine online about Mike and Andy's adventures in the EC,.about Chuck Leinweber, Gary Blankenship, Doug Cameron, Marty, Graham Byrnes, so many wonderful small boat people. I know I have forgotten some!

Love, Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Didn't mention that, as I am one as well. Maybe why I loved Scamp so much?
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

http://www.watertribe.com/Default.aspx

I wanted to post the home page for the water tribe.

I have followed the Everglade challenge since Mike and the Scamp were in it.
It is a good event for me to follow while I am snowed in Wis.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

I always follow Class 4 because I know almost all the guys and boats but that is not to say the others aren't equally interesting. The multihulls are often done while the slower paddlers are still back on Marco Island but I find it all so interesting, so if weather turns bad you are watching and hoping they are all safe or if a boat just stops you know there is a problem. When the rescue symbols start going up I start getting worried and praying, as they do some years.

It is not unlike following a board game with real people and boats.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Jackie,

Here's a crazy thought. Wouldn't it be neat if a company like GO Pro cameras could be talked into fitting each boat with a Go camera? Seems like in viewing the race, we miss a lot of the real action that takes place. Just a thought.

Ken – #83 Gabrielle