Sad news from Oklahoma

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Sad news from Oklahoma

Post by kenjamin »

Sorry to report that I just read about Mike Monies' passing. He and Jackie did another great job of hosting Sail Oklahoma this year as everyone who went would probably agree. Mike was also sort of one of the founding fathers of the SCAMP phenomena in his building and testing of Red SCAMP, one of the first SCAMPs ever built and extensively sailed. I'm glad I got to meet him at this year's Sail Oklahoma. He was a very gracious man and I'm sure he will be missed greatly by all who knew him. My deepest sympathies go out to Jackie and the rest of the family at this very difficult time in their lives.
Steve
Regular Contributor

Re: Sad news from Oklahoma

Post by Steve »

Sincere condolences to Jackie and the Monies family. Mike will be missed.

I first met Mike and Jackie in Carrabelle, Florida, when they were returning from the EC with the Red Scamp. They were gracious and informative, and allowed me to climb all over the boat, right there in the IGA parking lot. I will always be grateful.
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

I'm very sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet Mike. His early accounts of sailing Scamp helped convince me to get one for myself.

The passing of a loved one is always hard on the family and my heart goes out to Jackie and the Monies family.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Mike was my friend and a friend to so many. I am very sad to read of his passing. I have a gem of a SCAMP story about Mike that I should pen and post when I feel I can.

What a spirit he is even to this day!

Thank you Mike and fair winds to you!
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

This is sad news indeed. I feel like Mike was a mentor, teacher, and friend even though we've never met. I followed the Red SCAMP build and then Red SCAMP travels and could feel the love Jackie spread generously to Mike, and SCAMP, and small boat sailors everywhere. Mike, you will be missed! Jackie, you have friends you've never met ready to give you a shoulder to cry on, or share a laugh with you when you're ready. Fair Winds, Dana
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

I never met Mike but he and Jackie have been a part of the Scamp experience from my earliest involvement. He is already missed. My hart is heavy for Jackie and his whole family.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

I also never had a chance to meet Mike and I give my condolences to Jackie and the family....I have never had the chance to meet Mike but I always felt like family to him and Jackie, as if I had known them for yours. Thank you Mike and Jackie for all of your time you have so graciously given to the sail boat world. You will never be forgotten.
Fred
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

I like many never met Mike but have felt his influence. His build of the Red SCAMP put me a wonderful journey. I will always feel indebted both Mike and Jackie.

Jackie my thoughts and prayers go to you and your family.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Like many here, I never had the honour of meeting Mike. He always felt like a leading presence in the Scamp phenomena and his build certainly inspired me to give it a go. I have always thought that if I could go knowing that I would be remembered positively for something I had done in life, that would be enough. From the comments in all these posts from those of you who knew him, Mike has left us with a wealth of fond memories. Jackie, I hope you continue both Mike's and your own wonderful contributions to the small boat world. Our thoughts are with you.

Dan
Tim
Regular Contributor

Post by Tim »

Just heard the news, my heart goes out to Jackie and the family. Mike touched so many of us here and many ways.

Tim