Reefing a SCAMP

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

Reefing a SCAMP

Post by dndrich »

SCAMPers:

I am hopeful to make the SCAMP camp this summer. Would love a SCAMP.

Curious to know how you guys reef under sail. Where I sail it can whip up a howl fairly quickly. My current Montgomery 15 will heave to easily, and I can reduce the main. Is it easy to jiffy reef a SCAMP under sail? Looks like you would "park" and do it quickly. Wondering how that works out for folks.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
Dick Herman
Regular Contributor

Re: Reefing a SCAMP

Post by Dick Herman »

No problem. I head into the wind, drop the sail, set the fore and aft jiffy reefs, tie the pennants (?), lift the sail. I've been sailing catboats for over fifteen years and have learned to reef early and reef often. The heaviest wind I've reefed my Scamp in was about fifteen knots. It was my first time reefing Klompen for real under sail, and while a bit sporting, a great learning experience.
Peanut
New Contributor

Post by Peanut »

I have been sailing Peanut in the SF Bay Area for last several months. The wind can get pretty strong in the afternoon, so it is important to be able to reef fast and easily under sail.

What works for me is to release the mainsheet and then lock the tiller (using a Tiller Clutch) at about 30 degrees to leeward. This will get the SCAMP to "park". It's amazing how the boat just sits quietly like this, even in blustery conditions. It's one of characteristics I absolutely love about the SCAMP. It's like hitting the pause button during a sail.

Once Peanut is "parked", I then then slack the halyard and downhaul. I don't drop the sail completely, just enough to drop the reef points a little lower than the boom.

For securing the reef lines, I use two cam cleats. The forward one is positioned on the boom above the aft end of the veranda. The aft cleat is position few feet behind the forward cleat. Peanut came to me with a cleat that I felt was positioned too far forward. It was just awkward to go that far forward in a boat under sail and have to cleat. Moving the cleats closer together and next to the skipper helped a lot.

I tug in the reef lines, pull up the halyard, and adjust downhaul, release the tiller clutch and go. The whole maneuver is really fast. I have been very pleased at how easy Peanut is to reef, and how well she does in windy conditions.
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Peanut wrote:I have been sailing Peanut in the SF Bay Area for last several months. The wind can get pretty strong in the afternoon, so it is important to be able to reef fast and easily under sail.

What works for me is to release the mainsheet and then lock the tiller (using a Tiller Clutch) at about 30 degrees to leeward. This will get the SCAMP to "park". It's amazing how the boat just sits quietly like this, even in blustery conditions. It's one of characteristics I absolutely love about the SCAMP. It's like hitting the pause button during a sail.

Once Peanut is "parked", I then then slack the halyard and downhaul. I don't drop the sail completely, just enough to drop the reef points a little lower than the boom.

For securing the reef lines, I use two cam cleats. The forward one is positioned on the boom above the aft end of the veranda. The aft cleat is position few feet behind the forward cleat. Peanut came to me with a cleat that I felt was positioned too far forward. It was just awkward to go that far forward in a boat under sail and have to cleat. Moving the cleats closer together and next to the skipper helped a lot.

I tug in the reef lines, pull up the halyard, and adjust downhaul, release the tiller clutch and go. The whole maneuver is really fast. I have been very pleased at how easy Peanut is to reef, and how well she does in windy conditions.
That is terrific. That is the kind of info I am interested in. I sail in similar conditions in Tomales Bay north of you in my Montgomery 15. I have a TillerClutch too. What a wonderful device.

If possible, I would love to see Peanut at some point.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Ben
Great description of the proper method. Glad you are enjoying Peanut so much. John W and I have also enjoyed helping build her and sailing her, you have one very nice SCAMP.
Best,
howard
Peanut wrote:I have been sailing Peanut in the SF Bay Area for last several months. The wind can get pretty strong in the afternoon, so it is important to be able to reef fast and easily under sail.

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Daniel
Thanks for the call last night, looking forward to talking this evening.
Best,
howard
ps: You have picked a good design to build.
dndrich wrote:

That is terrific. That is the kind of info I am interested in. I sail in similar conditions in Tomales Bay north of you in my Montgomery 15. I have a TillerClutch too. What a wonderful device.

If possible, I would love to see Peanut at some point.
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Can't wait to chat with ya!

Interesting to think about the parking maneuver. In a sense it is a heave to the way you have described it. With the boat taking wind on the windward side there is enough windage I would guess to push the bow and boat to leeward. With the tiller at 30 degrees to leeward it pushes the bow to windward. Parks. Cool. Nice to know. I need to be able to stop a boat at sea as I sail solo most of the time.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
Peanut
New Contributor

Post by Peanut »

I'm not sure if I fully understand the physics behind "parking", but the way you described it seems accurate. With the main fully released and the tiller a little leeward, there seems to be enough lift to keep the boat docile. The bow of the boat is quite stable, and there is no healing force. The SCAMP just sits like a cork in the water.

If you would like to see Peanut, you can Google "Peanut SCAMP Threlkeld". There are a few photos online. She is a green and white boat. Once I get the lights on my trailer fixed, I would be happy to sail with you in Tomales Bay.

And to Howard, thanks for all your help in building Peanut and your tips for modifying the rigging. Peanut is a joy to own and sail.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Ben
Nice to read your words here.

For others heres a shot at clarifying the term "parking." Sailors have been sailing lug rig types forever and have enjoyed the peaceful and practical nature of the rig in windy conditions. Without shrouds lug rigged boats are generally able to stop at will as opposed to heaving to. Great for working fish traps, etc.

"Parking" is not an established sailing term (if anyone happens to scour dictionaries of sailing terminology looking for it) instead it is just a word I began using specific to SCAMP after initial test sailing her on the first overnight (winter cruise). I recall telling Simeon and Josh back at the dock frozen toes and all that the boat just "parked."

In the bitter cold I was sure glad to be able to just stop and change to dry gloves, grab a snack, etc. Not all hull shapes stop and sit as well as a SCAMP. I was delighted to discover how well she does this given John's hull design.

Probably best to think of the maneuver as a controlled stop, not really a "parking maneuver." Parking to me implies the boat will be dead stopped and not moving. As Dick Herman and others have pointed out she will make some way and so the "Parking" maneuver requires some helm adjustment. Apologies for the possibly misleading term, it just seemed to fit as I tested the boat and noted how well behaved it is or as Ben has put it "SCAMP just sits like a cork in the water."

Some SCAMP sailors have adopted the term and use it to describe simply letting the sheet out and sitting/drifting.

I wonder what all those lug sailors who have come before us call the maneuver. Anyone here know?
Peanut wrote:I'm not sure if I fully understand the physics behind "parking", but the way you described it seems accurate. With the main fully released and the tiller a little leeward, there seems to be enough lift to keep the boat docile. The bow of the boat is quite stable, and there is no healing force. The SCAMP just sits like a cork in the water.

If you would like to see Peanut, you can Google "Peanut SCAMP Threlkeld". There are a few photos online. She is a green and white boat. Once I get the lights on my trailer fixed, I would be happy to sail with you in Tomales Bay.

And to Howard, thanks for all your help in building Peanut and your tips for modifying the rigging. Peanut is a joy to own and sail.
willpower
Regular Contributor

Post by willpower »

Folks, bringing this thread back up. Ben-'Peanut'-does a nice job describing his reefing procedure here, but one question I have is with two cam cleats and three reef lines, possibly on different sides of the boom, how does this work? And Ben, if you're there, how do you clean up the fall of the lines after reefing? Horn cleat on boom to hang coil? Also, it seems to me that each reefing line, numbers 1, 2, and 3 could each be one continuous line, each of a different color, of course, to eliminate confusion. Or would separate lines be better? Any clarification much appreciated. --Will #299