Latest skeg pattern

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ElHeffe
Regular Contributor

Latest skeg pattern

Post by ElHeffe »

I have the scamp builders manual v1.5 with skeg drawings dated July 30, 2012.

Over at WoodnMetalGuys blog, Simeon mentions this link
http://smallcraftadvisor.com/SCAMP14Rev.pdf
for updated skeg drawings.

The link does not work anymore and today I'm running out to fetch the plywood for the skegs. And some mason board to cut the pattern.

Is there a rev of the skeg drawings later than July 2012?
PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com
mrogers
Major Contributor

Re: Latest skeg pattern

Post by mrogers »

ElHeffe
Plywood is probably OK for the skegs if you already have it and can't use it somewhere else.
A better choice is solid wood with the grain parallel to the bottom. Use long screws from inside the boat if possible. Think sheer stress, visualize the boat resting on the skegs, perhaps partially buried in sand. And now you grab the bow and turn the boat. Or the current tries to move it sideways. If I were going to use plywood I think I would use hardwood dowels, in epoxy to secure them. They would be less likely to split/delaminate the plywood under stress. Dowels about half the thickness of the skegs I would guess. You are moving right along and will be sailing soon, good work. Again plywood will probably be OK and if it does fail they can be replaced.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Is there a rev of the skeg drawings later than July 2012?[/quote]

**No

[quote="ElHeffe"]I have the scamp builders manual v1.5 with skeg drawings dated July 30, 2012.

Over at WoodnMetalGuys blog, Simeon mentions this link
http://smallcraftadvisor.com/SCAMP14Rev.pdf
for updated skeg drawings.

The link does not work anymore and today I'm running out to fetch the plywood for the skegs. And some mason board to cut the pattern.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I've stuck the file out on Dropbox. Maybe SCA can reset the link on the SCA board :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7z3lu4fucpbw ... v.pdf?dl=0

I'd go with hardwood...
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Pretty sure the Red Scamp was white oak, since Mike only liked a few woods, white oak, cypress, mahogany. There are good photos of the skegs in the build photos but I am sure others have excellent ones as well.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp and Red Scamp,Too
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

Jackie,

Mike had good choices for his wood. White oak is the hardest of the three and most appropriate for the skegs. Not being a seasoned boat builder I've been researching wood that I could obtain from a local source. My search came down to the same three and had chosen white oak to build my skegs. Thank you for confirming my choice.

John S.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

I go past Mike's specialty boutique sawmill still on most trips out of Oklahoma and south to Texas or over to Louisiana. It is a mill that specializes in hardwoods and materials for cabinet makers, custom home builders. They have beautiful, lovely wood and don't even carry plywood or any wood like a box store. And prices are excellent as well. I would be happy to pickup lumber for anyone that I would be getting close to on any of my trips. If it is a large quantity I'd have to take the pickup not the van!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

I go past Mike's specialty boutique sawmill still on most trips out of Oklahoma and south to Texas or over to Louisiana. It is a mill that specializes in hardwoods and materials for cabinet makers, custom home builders. They have beautiful, lovely wood and don't even carry plywood or any wood like a box store. And prices are excellent as well. I would be happy to pickup lumber for anyone that I would be getting close to on any of my trips. If it is a large quantity I'd have to take the pickup not the van!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Found a business card in my card files: Phillips Forest Products, DeKalb, Texas

903-894-3516 or 903-667-4151

oak, maple, ash, cedar, cypress and exotic woods
Johnny Walker
Regular Contributor

Post by Johnny Walker »

I needed to bring the CLR aft to balance #24's cat-ketch rig. The skegs lower edges run level from the centerboard aft. They are built doubled 3/4 ply and are 11" deep (and extended aft 4in. at the stern). With this configuration the hull sits on a flatbed trailer and two great boarding steps. They also protect the electric drive prop and add a bit to windward ability. The boat needs to run against some more stock Scamps to see how speed is effected. Johnny