Login | Register

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:24 pm

New Contributor

Have any scamp owners here owned a peep hen? If so in what ways do you think the scamp is better? I just sold my peep, but I've always been interested in scamps.

Oh and this is my first post..Hello from Clearwater, Florida.

Dom

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:30 am

Regular Contributor

Hi Dom, and welcome to the forum:)

I think you have come to the perfect place for unbiased opinions about the SCAMP compared to other boats;) Come on, it's a SCAMP forum!!!!!

In all seriousness, the West Coast Trailer Sailors (http://ftp.ij.net/wctss/wctss/dates.htm) are having a get together at Cayo Costa from 3/20 - 3/22 which I plan on attending. You could sail over or take the ferry and take my SCAMP, Fat Bottom Girl, for a spin and make your own evaluation,

Marty

Top Top

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm

New Contributor

I sold my peep two weeks too early! I planned on going on that trip. Now I'm left with a hobie wave and a catalina 12.5 expo. Neither of which are the best for offshore camping! Thanks for the offer. I'd love to take you up on that on another occasion. I have a few nice pics of FBG from the EC this year if you'd like to have a look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsrphotog ... 799940599/

Dom

Top Top

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Regular Contributor

Nice pics Dom, thanks for sharing!

Just let me know anytime you get in the mood to go out for a sail.

Marty

Top Top

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Recognized Old Salt

I think Paul Breeding in Colorado owns one of each.

Jaxkie Monies

Top Top

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:02 am

Major Contributor

Monies wrote:
I think Paul Breeding in Colorado owns one of each.

you are correct Jackie.

I don't know how often Paul checks this forum ... I'll send him a note.

:: Owner of M17 #375 - SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:20 am

Regular Contributor

Yes, I have owned a Peep Hen for almost 5 years and launched a plans built SCAMP 2 years ago. In July 2013 I wrote my thoughts on comparing the two for an interested inquirer on one of the forums. I still have a copy of that in my Email file if anyone is interested. Because I feel it's too long to put on this forum I would prefer to send it directly to anyone requesting it. As a bit of finality to this I am leaving tomorrow to deliver the Peep Hen to it's new owner in Florida. Should you want a copy my address: pbreedingco2@msn.com

Paul Breeding
Broomfield CO
SCAMP #82

Top Top

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:28 am

Major Contributor

Hi Paul,
Maybe you could submit your comparison as a SCA blog entry?

Top Top

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:02 am

Site Admin

I asked Paul if we could read his comparison thinking it might make a nice addition to the forum. He sent it and I do think readers will find it interesting / potentially valuable. As Paul pointed out, it is only his opinion based on his type of inland sailing. I'll post it below —Eds

John,

I didn’t think you were in the market for a Peep Hen, although you do seem to have an interest in many different craft. And I suspect have owned or sailed on many marquees.

Despite the closeness in length of the two boats they are two quite different boats. My assessment will be limited as I have only had the SCAMP out
a few times and then always in light or practically none existent air and only had the Peep out once when the first reef was tied in. I tend to be a fair weather sailor, I’m now 75 and no longer need a thrill-a-minute activity.

Having said that I do notice strengths and shortcomings in both (for me).

The Peep is a great design, packing so much boat in 14’, easy to set up, easy to launch/retrieve, trailerable with a small tow vehicle, comfortable sailing, roomy cockpit, ability to sail with the bimini in place, secure feeling, holds it’s market value quite well, if cared for will be worth just about as much when you sell it as it was when you bought it (not something you can say about most production boats). For me while I was intrigued by the cabin amenities after sailing it I realized that other than storage I had no use for the features of the cabin, other than the wonderful ability to reach the mast and halyards while in the safety of the cabin. I tried one night to sleep on board, it was just too cave like. Actually day or night with the companionway slide closed and the hatch boards in place it’s just uncomfortably claustrophobic. Another disadvantage is the height of the tabernacle/mast/gallows prevents storing the boat in a normal garage (I generally am more concerned with indoor storage of boats than I am with cars). Last Summer I had the opportunity to sail it alongside Johnny Walker’s ketch rigged SCAMP, no way could I keep up with him (as an aside both he & I had our SCAMPs sailing together at Lake Havasu being fairly evenly matched despite the difference in sail configuration, more details on that later if interested). So the longer waterline of the Peep does not make up for the greater wetted surface and other factors that allow the SCAMP to out perform. The classification often attributed to the Peep is that it’s a cocktail party boat is not entirely misdirected. While I have not capsized either boat, nor do I plan to I think the recovery of the Peep would be much more of a problem and perhaps a disaster: no water tight compartments.

The SCAMP I believe is a far superior boat for the serious or safety minded sailor, it shares many of the Peeps positives. Almost as easy to rig as the Peep, at present the launch/retrieval is only easy if I have a steep ramp (this should improve as I make adjustments to my non-standard trailer). The sail handling lines are easily accessible on both boats. Note: that on my SCAMP I modified the mast slot and I chose to use end boom sheeting, both variances from the plans and variances that I consider improvements. The seat height nor the back rest (coaming) of the SCAMP is not as comfortable as the Peep. Mounting an outboard is more complicated with the SCAMP than with the Peep (high transom requiring some type of pantograph or sliding motor mount). The SCAMP seems better at telegraphing it’s needs/wants through the seat of your pants than the Peep. While both boats have enormous storage for their length the Peep has far easier access. Both boats share the ability to set and forget on most points of sail I think the SCAMP is more responsive to tweaking. An inherent caution with both boats is that one can relax too much as they are so confident building that one can easily be lulled in to complacency. Both are good light air boats, a mere zephyr will move them enough for steerage. I have towed both boats long distances including both boats over the continental divide and over mountain passes. I would say the SCAMP is an easier tow, no doubt due to slightly less weight and less wind resistance (I will be curious to see if my new over the road cover will improve towing even more).

Letting go of either boat will not be easy, at this point my heart goes out a little more to the SCAMP because I built it with more of my fingerprints on it. However when I walk outside and see the Peep it’s hard not to linger a while just to admire. Both boats generate ramp conversation, also at restaurants, gas stations and traffic lights – conventional neither are.

John, I think I have rambled through most of my thoughts. Neither the SCAMP nor the Peep Hen are the end all for small boats. I’ve tried to give you an overview from my perspective to accurately compare the two one would need to know the criteria of comparison. They are two different boats that may appeal to basically similar audiences. I can only give what comes from my heart, in this case it’s a divided heart.

If you have any specific questions I’ll try to respond, I do appreciate you curiosity and interest.

Paul

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW