Serenity pictures before Launch

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Serenity pictures before Launch

Post by kenjamin »

Very nice work, Sergei. She's looking very shipshape – especially like the underwater window port. I had one on my Caledonia Yawl as it sealed up the hole in the motor well when rowing or sailing – a lot of fun to watch while sneaking over thin water. Also like the red mast. It's a nice touch. Enjoy your serenity aboard Serenity!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Looked at Serenity some more this morning. She is like a really good floral design should be, each time you look your eye sees another detail you missed the first time, your eyes just keep reabsorbing texture, color, lines, changes from one materials to another. This is surely not your first boat and surely, surely you have had training as both an artist and designer. The balance of the triad color is just impeccable in proportions and placements. I am in awe!

Love, Jackie Monies "Cookies" Scamp
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Well done Sergei and Tyler!

You've put a lot of innovative touches into Serenity. When you splash her you may be the first to sail with a Howard inspired "footwell". There is a lot of visual content to digest as I peruse your photos.

Great job on the color scheme although serenity isn't the first thought that comes to mind. Also, it's not a bad thing for the paint to have another 3 weeks to cure and harden up, so think of the delay as a plus. Make sure Tyler isn't able to do a stealth splash in your absence :P

See you in July, if not sooner.

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

Wow Sergei and Tyler, that looks great! Looking forward to seeing Serenity in person at the Scamp Skills Weekend.

John S.
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Great job guys! Spectacular! Can't wait to see her.

Best,
Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
powersurge
Regular Contributor

Post by powersurge »

Kind words from everybody :-) I'm proud of her but what I'm really excited about is just spending more time with you guys!! This Scamp community, and support has been amazing :-)

Being my first boat build I feel that 10 months was fairly fast to build this boat. I contribute the quick build to several factors, First and most importantly Scamp Camp. Nothing sets the fire underneath you brighter then being on a forced time frame in the company of distinguished Mentors whose pool of wisdom regarding the building and handling of this small boat is beyond pier.
Secondly, I had to stow my perfectionist predisposition. Its amazing the small things you tend to get caught up in, that really don't matter that much in the overall products appearance and function.
Lastly, straying from being a purest, buying fiberglass foils, and going with an aluminum mast, saved a lot of time.

To me, there's few things, as rewarding as building something from nothing. When we started this project I told Tyler if you can build a boat you can build anything. To have had this project to share with him, has been tremendous. and I feel and hope, it will help be some of the catalyst for him to pursue his own dreams.
Sergei Joslin sail # 291 "Serenity"
You can burn the land or boil the sea but you can't take my Serenity.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Sergei

I admire you as a friend, boat builder and most importantly as a father. I believe Tyler is a fine young man because you give to him and relate to him in a very straight forward and open manner. It was a pleasure to work building with you two gentlemen. Well done on Serenity to a remarkable father and son team!

Hey Tyler...............Looking forward to seeing you again and sailing with you soon.
Best,
howard
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

Sergei
can hardly wait to see you and “Serenity” in person. Your detailing is inspiring and striking. Someday I plan to build an alternative Chinese lug rig for my Scamp. If you are interested I recommend “Practical Junk Rig” by H.G.Hasler and J.K.Mc Leod from International Marine Publishing. I think I have seen it on Wooden Boat store. Such a rig would look right in place on "Serenity"
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
Jim at the lake
New Contributor

Post by Jim at the lake »

Great looking boat and the stern anchor locker a great idea.
powersurge
Regular Contributor

Post by powersurge »

Roger, I gave away my copy of “Practical Junk Rig” away with the boat you see as my identifying picture. She was a hundred year old 50 foot Chinese junk made on the shores of Hong Kong. My father and I did extensive restoration on her bringing her to the Bristol fashion you see. I fell in love with the junk rig over the 10 or so years I owned her. I did consider making the full batten sail for Serenity, and still may down the road. Its nice to hear that you are an enthusiast, Maybe we will start a trend:-)
Sergei Joslin sail # 291 "Serenity"
You can burn the land or boil the sea but you can't take my Serenity.