Scamp #326 build, from plans.

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp #326 build, from plans.

Post by dsimonson »

Bcbimmer wrote:Either accept them, or...
Just over 16 months since launch, and I've got so many dings, scrapes and scratches on LUNA that I wonder why I even bothered trying to get a decent paint job on her! Her skegs are worn bald, every corner has a nick or three, there's not a spot on the boat that hasn't been marred! And, I'm proud of every mark, they were all good learnings, and fabulous fun!

Cheers,
Dale
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

dsimonson wrote:
Just over 16 months since launch, and I've got so many dings, scrapes and scratches on LUNA that I wonder why I even bothered trying to get a decent paint job on her! Her skegs are worn bald, every corner has a nick or three, there's not a spot on the boat that hasn't been marred! And, I'm proud of every mark, they were all good learnings, and fabulous fun!

Cheers,
Dale
Thats what I foresee in my near future ,lots of "uh oh " moments as I learn to sail. :lol: Get my scamp off - on the trailer on my own will be a source of many scares alone I'm thinking.Then there is the ' dog ' ! His claws on my new paint work :shock:

Oh well ,it will give something to do in the winter.Rub down and new coat of paint I guess.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Came out a very different colour to the chart or its maybe just my eyes but sometimes it looks very yellow and other times looks pale cream.If it doesnt grow on me I'll have a job booked for next winter already .

After the 6oz glass and 4 coats of epoxy then 3 coats of marine enamel then 2 coats of red to the bottom up to the first plank , I think I am done there.

And then the 3 coats of epoxy then 2 coats of undercoat and 2 coats of enamel house paint to the sides has hidden most imperfections.The Red , side undercoats and top coats all received 15% of Penetrol.Made the undercoats much denser and gave the top coats a much higher gloss.

Turn over Monday
DPP_2.JPG
Water line is by way of 5mtr length 10mm clear plastic tube filled with water.One end taped to a stick 1200mm off floor.Measurement taken from the transom approximate water line shown on plan after hull leveled port to starboard and fore and aft.Then move other end along hull and mark to hull when water level rests at 1200mm point on stick.(older type of semi transparent garden hose just as good).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Lookin' good, Lindsay! (love the colour… and red bottoms rule!! ;)

Cheers,
Dale
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

dsimonson wrote:Lookin' good, Lindsay! (love the colour… and red bottoms rule!! ;)

Cheers,
Dale
Hi Dale , thanks ,yes love that red ,easier to spot me when I start drifting off to South America :)
DPPP_5.JPG
Spent many hours looking through your flickr site ,very educational.Great Scamp photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swoody126
New Contributor

Post by swoody126 »

dsimonson wrote:

Cheers,
Dale
EXCELLENT POINT!

boats that get used get dings & scrapes IMHO

they prove you use her

AND

you wouldn't use her if you didn't love her

way too many garage queens, out there, that only see the light of day for boat SHOWS...

sw
steve,

addicted to water and many of the activities that require or are enhanced by it

trailerable, wooden, fiberglass, aluminum & hard plastic

power, sail & paddle

hand crafted a/o commercially created
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Managed to wrestle the boat back upright by rolling it off the saw stools and onto 2 car tiers ,one end at a time.
DPPP_9.JPG
final epoxy coats done
DPPP_14.JPG
final sand and ready for some paint
DPPP_17.JPG
stevegrim
Regular Contributor

Post by stevegrim »

Hi Lindsay,
Looks like you are doing a grand job on your Scamp.
Have you got a name for her yet?
I'm willing to give you a hand on launch day....just give me
a shout.
All the best...Steve. Scamp81 'Cloud9'
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

stevegrim wrote:Hi Lindsay,
Looks like you are doing a grand job on your Scamp.
Have you got a name for her yet?
I'm willing to give you a hand on launch day....just give me
a shout.
All the best...Steve. Scamp81 'Cloud9'
Hi Steve,
It was a big help just being able to view your completed scamp and yes I will definitely take you up on your offer come launch day ,I have much to learn.I will PM you my address , you are most welcome to drop in anytime before then and check out the progress.

Hoping to get it completed before xmas holidays so I will have Lake Rotomanu free of jet ski's and the like ,mid week.If you know what I mean !!

No name yet ,havent begun to think that far ahead.Probably just be 'The Boat' for a while yet.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

DPPP_4.JPG