Scamp #326 build, from plans.

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

headonz
Regular Contributor

Re: Scamp #326 build, from plans.

Post by headonz »

Gudgeon and pintle

Random tube , channel and angle SS from the scrap metal guy .... $5 .
6 x SS welding rods for the arch welder and double ended 'coated' 1/8th drill bit from the sheet metal guy .... $5 .

Couldnt get the angel SS length to work so cut in half length wise then welded sides and top angel together while clamped to rudder.
D1.JPG
Aligned both with length of SS tube and spot welded in place.
DPPP_9.JPG
DPPP_1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Next cut the channel at 45 deg angle and drilled hole through width to take gudgeon .Also made spacers to stand it off from the transom to get clearance.
D1.JPG
Bolted to transom.
D7.JPG
Cut off tube to length and tried the fit.
D2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

All up cost approx $20 including SS bolts and lock nuts. + $? for several 125mm cut off discs.
D3.JPG
DPPP_7.JPG
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

I built my pintals and grunion also. Not sure if I saved any money but then that is not the point. I bought a small brake and a strip of 316 stainless for the price of buying them.

headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Hi Peter ,
Yes ,buying new 316 SS would have not worked for me.If you have a scrap metal guy that lets you wonder around his yard these things can be made for scrap metal prices.

I tried bending the SS strapping as you have but could not get a consistent width after the bends were made like the bottom one in your photo so welded those joints .I was also concerned about the SS work hardening from the bending process ,rightly or wrongly (?).

I have just finished cutting into the 3 pieces of Oregon spar material I got from the demolition guy.Complete rubbish.Notty ,twisted and one piece not even Oregon .Lucky for him he lives too far away for me to "give it back to him" if you know what I mean.

It will end up expensive fire wood .Win some loose some.!!
Last edited by headonz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nugentmr
New Contributor

Post by Nugentmr »

Lindsay,

Reading your build has been really enjoyable. I feel justified for not throwing away my bucket of saved SS back from my welding years. Will your finished gudgeon and pintle be painted or take on a brushed metal look?
Mike

headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Mike ,
I will leave them as they are ,I see no point in painting them ,just another place to have to touch up otherwise.Glad you enjoyed the build and that it may be a help in some way.I still have the mast and spars to go yet .Not sure when thats going to happen but I will get there eventually.

I did price some spar grade Oregon here in New Zealand ,enough to do the birds mouth mast and 2 spars .$693.96 nz.......... !!!??

Thats not going to happen.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Linsay Since you live in New Zealand contact the designer John Welsford and ask him for a proper local wood. I am sure there are many.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/440526479459574/
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Hi PeterE,
Yes we speak often on his yahoo group.Now its just a matter of time and space.But I do realize there are many options.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

I was able to find an old mast and spars after putting an add on the notice board at the local yacht club.83yr old Barry had these up in his rafters since the days when people went to aluminum.
spar3.JPG
I cut 1300mm off the length of the mast and solid blocked the base up 1100mm and 200mm at the top.
I removed all of the built in track timber and left a slight flatness and shoulder
aft and taped the joint.
spar2.JPG
After much plaining and sanding the mast is now 88mm at the base and 58mm at the top.A little over size but then has narrower wall thickness so hoping to come in around acceptable weight as it is Sitka Spruce as is the top spar.The boom is spar grade Oregon.Both have been reshaped to approximate dimensions taken from the plans.
spar13.JPG
All up cost $80 + 3 coats of epoxy and 3 coats of spar vanish.