Scamp #326 build, from plans.

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

headonz
Regular Contributor

Scamp #326 build, from plans.

Post by headonz »

I am about to cut wood tomorrow ,probably start with 9mm bulkheads.On the plans mentions notch for longitudinals.How deep ??

All else being equal I should have a good day :D
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamp #327 build, from plans.

Post by simeoniii »

Lindsy -

Congratulations on making a start!

I'm confused though. I'm seeing Scamp #327 on the thread header and #326 on the footer :?: BTW, what part of the country or world are you from? Josh hasn't updated the Registry map with your hull number yet.

Almost all of the stock for longitudinals and cleats should be 20x30mm. The notches on the bulkheads should scale out at 20mm wide and 30mm deep. Does that make sense?

You'll end up cutting a lot of it and it sure helps it it is all the same size.

Cheers,
Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
headonz
Regular Contributor

Re: Scamp #326 build, from plans.

Post by headonz »

Hi Simeon

You beat me to it before I could edit the heading ,yes #326 it is.
I am from New Zealand .I started the NZ Scamp thread but I thought I would start another for my build so other NZ Scamp builders could fell they can post freely on the other.

The plan shows the bulkheads to be notched where the seat base panels intersect them.Not to confused with the 20x30 longitudinal.
DPP_5.JPG
DPP_6.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Ah yes... those are for Bulkheads 5 & 6 and accept the seat longitudinals shown on Plans Sheet-4. The longitudinals are out of 9mm ply so 9mm wide.

Depth I think is 11mm. Check Sheet-2 with the layout for the longitudinals.

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

My only concern was if the length of the seat longitudes had been calculated to allow for the recessing into the bulkheads that they intersect.I think I will leave them a little long ,always easier to trim a little off than try and stick a bit back on later.

I will allow a 2mm notch either side of 9mm ply.Its only to locate the panels after all ,before they are epoxied/filleted.Correct me if I am wrong.
DPP_5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

2056mm along the top edge of the longitudinals should take everything into account.

2mm on either side of the notches seems excessive; that would make it a 13mm notch.
Maybe 1mm each side.

As you say, they are for locating and as long as you are consistent (pushing each side either both forward or both aft) so that the bulkheads remain true at 90 degrees to the longitudinals. Epoxy/fillet can take up a lot of slack if necessary.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
stevegrim
Regular Contributor

Post by stevegrim »

Hi Lindsay,
Going on my experience, I would try to work as close to the plans as possible, I did
what you propose by opening up the slot slightly, can't remember if I did it intentionally
or not, but my longitudinals are slightly wider at the transom . The only problem with that is if you want to install boards across (athwartships) and slide them forward and aft. I have made a seat (thwart) for rowing and can only push it aft a couple of feet before it binds up. I suppose I could trim it down a shade , but I don't want a sloppy fit when it's in the rowing position.
My rowlocks are placed 13 and 3/4 inches (350mm) aft of BH 5. I came to this position by sitting in what I felt was the right place for me, leaning back so as my head head didn't hit the veranda roof , I have rowed up against a stiff headwind and against
the tide for approx a quarter of a mile or so it felt good.
By the way , my spars are made of Douglas fir.
Steve.
#81 "Cloud 9"
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Howdy people ,sorry but you both misunderstand me .I am not opening up any slots that take a 9mm longitudinal , I am wanting to know how deep the 9mm wide notch has to recess into the intersecting point, eg pic of stem show notch needed for BH 1 an 2 to slide down at this point but does not indicate depth of notch either side of stem and also does not even show slot needed in BH 1 and 2 in pic.I think I will be making a 2mm deep notch either side of the stem to accommodate the 5mm slot I will cut in BH 1 and 2 to slide down over it.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

If I understand you, you are asking how deep a recess you need to mill into the sides of the stem??? Not required. Bulkheads and longitudinal members (Stem & Seat vertical part) should be notched accurately so as to fit together snugly but not so tight as to make taking apart a problem. The width of the notch (slot) in each part must be equal to the thickness of the part it is to be fitted over. If you have not yet downloaded the SCAMP BUILDING MANUAL yet, you should, there's lots of information there. Page 37 has some good photos of the Stem and Bulkhead arrangement.
cdb9554
Regular Contributor

Post by cdb9554 »

Pages 14-16 of the building manual has the nesting layout for the kit parts. You can scale off these and get a pretty good idea of the slot depths included in the kit.

Craig
Craig
ANNIE B #124