Scamp #326 build, from plans.

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamp #326 build, from plans.

Post by simeoniii »

Nice work on the mast! Great re-purposing.

If you haven't done the boom yet, stiffer is better in the vertical plane.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Yes re-purposing , thats the word.There must be a heap of this stuff around, stuffed away in the back of garage/workshops all over the world that hopefully people cant bare to throw away.

Cant imagine how the mast will bend much though ,not sure if thats a good or bad thing ?

Boom is done already but is a little over size in the vertical plane so I guess I did good there :)
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

It all makes a lot more sense once you have all the pieces to play with.
Thank you SCA for speedy service and delivery to NZ and great product.
scampsail1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G. Hunter
New Contributor

Post by G. Hunter »

Gidday Headonz, Can I give you a call to ask some questions re your SCAMP build. I have just started #335 here in Paremata north of Wellington NZ. My mobile Ph: is 0212614836 if you are ok to text me your land line number.

I have the same trouble with figuring out those slots.I wouldnt be cutting a two mm channel in the stem. Rather, measure the depth of the stem and cut the bulkhead slot to suit. Also the mast trunk plans have an assortment of dimensions and configurations. I want to build the trunk and other units pre construction then assemble the boat as a component kit. I have a very small building space!

Cheers,
Grant.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Getting closer by the day !

When my sail is in this position/side , is it only the down haul keeping the boom to the mast or should there be a line around boom and mast ?
scampsail66.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Hi Grant.
my number is 027 3645791 ,best time is between 7pm and 9.30pm.Any day .
Dont have land line sorry.
Or you can list specific question here ,always a help to other builders who are going to run into the same issues.

The only purpose of the slot in the stem is to locate and hold that BH but this is not necessary ,the fillets do that perfectly adequately.I ended up locating every bulk head measuring from the stern once the bottom panel was set up on the base.
I would hesitate to attempt the pre constructed units approach .I think you would probably spend any time saved ,spent getting the pieces to fit to the rest.But I am all ears :)

Do you have all your ply yet ?? I would be very wary of some 'imported' so called BS Marine grade ply sold in NZ !!

And as to the epoxy vs paint to seal the ply I would give very serious consideration to John Welsfords opinion and use good quality paint, not epoxy.It would be my choice a second time.

questions ? bring 'im on :)
Lindsay

G. Hunter wrote:Gidday Headonz, Can I give you a call to ask some questions re your SCAMP build. I have just started #335 here in Paremata north of Wellington NZ. My mobile Ph: is 0212614836 if you are ok to text me your land line number.

I have the same trouble with figuring out those slots.I wouldnt be cutting a two mm channel in the stem. Rather, measure the depth of the stem and cut the bulkhead slot to suit. Also the mast trunk plans have an assortment of dimensions and configurations. I want to build the trunk and other units pre construction then assemble the boat as a component kit. I have a very small building space!

Cheers,
Grant.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Finally got around to the center board.Then I spied the dogs dish ,seemed about the right size.I must know what I am doing after all as it turned out ,18lbs of lead in there came to 24mm thick leaving 5mm of wood left one side and 5mm of thickened epoxy on the other once it was put in place.Works very well.
Thats about the last of the little jobs.Time to go sailing.
DSCF0539centre board.JPG
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

It floats !!
Launched .Weather very gusty ,3 almost full knockdowns ,should have had a reef in but my first time sailing so ....... lots to learn.Also fighting against 4kt current and wind up the channel into the bay so wasnt going very far.Boat felt safe at all times.Next time I went sailing got blown back up the harbour and got stuck on mud bank !
Dog was cool about the whole thing :)
DSCF0545launched at Mapua.JPG
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Capsize !!!
Lessons learned.
#1 ,Reef early.
#2 ,Dont leave the jetty until everything is finished.
#3 ,Tie everything in.
#4 ,Cant right the boat if cant get center board out.
#5 ,The dog is only your friend as long as you are afloat.

Started out in 5 knts flat water.I new there was a front coming through early afternoon and was watching for it.Had full main up and was doing nicely , even when the wind pick up.Was running down wind when the wind got much stronger and thought it time to reef down .While I was thinking that wind increased 3 fold and 'Adrift' was now trying to stand on its nose.Had the end of the main sheet in my hand which had a big knot in it.Bad.Couldnt just let it go so tried to round up into the wind.

I opened my eyes and saw a light blue patch and thats what I swam for and popped up 2mtrs behind the boat which was now slowly rolling over with mast and sail several feet below the water.After a few quick strokes caught the rudder and climbed onto the bottom skeg and held onto the combing.Looked around for the dog who was about 20mtrs out heading for the shore ,saw me scramble onto the hull and turned around and started to come back and then thought " nah ... I'll save my self" and with a relaxed steady stroke headed for shore some 400 mtrs away.Lost sight of him soon after as there was now a large chop developed and the wind must have been over 25knts.

The scamp had now turned right over and the mast and sail was just below the water surface upwind.I tried to reach over and grab the the grab bag and several other items that were now starting to float away with the current 90deg to the direction that the wind was taking the boat.Couldnt quite do it and watched 2 phones ,gopro ,wind meter , dry clothes ect ect ect float away.

The center board had retracted and I wasnt able to budge it.Nothing to grip onto.Tried to lean out but couldnt quite lift the mast enough to get any wind under the sail.The front locker door was open lee side and that side had filled with water.

It was very cold but the wind was blowing us to shore so I waited it out.The dog had made it by now and was picking out a new owner.

Took a couple of weeks to regroup and finish all the little things I should have done before I went out.Like door latches on everything ,gaskets , large stainless eye bolt epoxied into bottom of leading edge of center board ,20mtr main sheet,side lines along the deck.

Time to get back into it ...... :)
https://youtu.be/BPLnRaJQ8cE
ram
New Contributor

Post by ram »

Thanks for the detailed (and hilarious) description of your "incident". I totally get the dog thing. He probably gave you a good tail wag when you got in and all was forgiven.

I have similar concerns about being able to right and re-board after a capsize. I do plan to keep things attached to the boat, but as you said, if the centerboard is up you really have little leverage. I am considering having lines attached to the side decks amidship that just trail in the water with a knot in the end. At least then there would something to grab hold of and try to get the hull to roll back up. I've also considered those flimsy little "emergency" ladders that roll up. On my "other" sailboat I have a folding ladder on the transom with a line on it that hangs just above the surface of the water so it can be pulled down by someone (me?) in the water.

I'd be interested to hear other capsize experiences and ideas on recovery. One opinion I've heard locally is just wear a dry suit and let it happen. Perhaps realistic, but takes some of the fun out.