Building of SCAMP #349 "Argo" underway in Wisconsin, USA

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Building of SCAMP #349 "Argo" underway in Wisconsin, USA

Post by ericleif »

Great job Jason! It would be great to see Argo in person at a rally or cross paths on the Great Lakes.

By the way, where did you purchase the leather you used on your mast/spars?

Congrats!
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi Eric,

I bought the 8-9oz vegetable tanned leather on eBay from a seller called leathersales. https://www.ebay.com/usr/leathersales
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Thanks Jason
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Ciao Amici,

There is not much work going on in the shop as I await spring and the launch of the ARGO, but......Shiver me timbers!!!! I made a mistake. The upper mast-block on my mast is at the correct location were there no mast step ramp, but it is too high up on the mast due to the existence of a mast stepping ramp that is part of my SCAMP mast trunk. The top of the the upper mast block on my mast is flush with the top of the mast trunk, but the angled mast stepping ramp lowers the aft side of the mast trunk as illustrated below. So, when I stepped my mast for the first time (pictured above), I realized that the mast was loose, because any aft pull on the mast pulled the upper mast-block backwards into the open space that is now the mast stepping ramp. With my upper mast block all nicely epoxied and varnished in-place, I decided to add third compression mast block 31" from the bottom of the mast , which will hold the mast snug against the topmost aft face of the mast trunk, done and dusted and very strong. Were I to build again, I would just locate the top edge of the upper mast block 31" up from the bottom of the mast. My system below is overkill regarding mast-block support-points, but based on how my build progressed, here I am, a happy camper with the stout system I have in the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jason

-SCAMP "Argo"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Congratulation on your build Jason. It is nice to have another SCAMP in the Midwest.

This is the time to have all the back yard testing done. Mast up, sails rigged, anchor rigged and stored. I made my share of mistakes but finally got it all together. You have a advantage being a experienced sailer. I have found it to be a ongoing process a little change here and a little change there.
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi Everyone,

After a long dry spell, I now have a couple days of decent weather along with time to work on the boat. After 29 months (I don't put in that many hours a month...) I can see the finish line on this project. At this point bending on the sail is all that's left. Just finished mousing the anchor shackles and finishing some final work on the ladder. Photo's below show the how the anchor line is routed through the closed bow chock, also a photo of the moused anchor shackle, and the finished ladder. Spring is here and the boat will be done in time for a fun sailing season. Happy Sailing all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jason

-SCAMP "Argo"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Guten Morgen,

Important learning regarding my stern-light base mount location.....it was in the way of the rudder, and prevented me from being able to drop my rudder in place. So the base is now shifted to starboard away from any interefence with anything. Below you can see the new location, and also the old location (which was right on the centerline above the pintles and gudgeons and which was not a functional location). I will need to clean up the old now-unused holes. I really like the Navisafe light system.
-Jason

-SCAMP "Argo"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi Everyone,

I launched the SCAMP Argo today! Said some grace asking for courage and wisdom and charitable decision making for captains and crews, present and future, and gave thanks for the ability and resources to build the boat, and asked that if and when possible, fair winds and good luck would also be great.

The boat and rigging all worked great. I hoisted sail and ran with the wind for a bit, sizing up the lengths of my various lines, many of which I had left intentionally too long so that I could trim them after seeing how they actually work. I adjusted the length of the Lazy Jacks (I tied a small snap-shackle into each leg of my lazy jacks so that I can loop them around the bottom of the boom and then snap the port and starboard legs together quickly). As I adjusted things my sailing was not very sailorly, but I got er done. Then I anchored and trialed the anchor system, worked great. At anchor I trimmed up line lengths. Then I tacked back upwind a bit and made a couple more adjustments. Tried the oars; they worked, and I really like the storage system I have for them in the cockpit. I have sailed for many years, but never sailed a balanced lug rig, or any rig with a yard for that matter. I am certain I didn't look like as good of a sailor as I would have liked, but I was a happy happy boat builder and sailor. It will take me a while to learn the rig and get it all fine tuned. 5-10mph winds, gusts to 15mph, but I was on a tiny lake and could find very sheltered spots to work on things. I did not practice putting in reefs so I had the full sail up. All went well, thanks goodness.

So now I move from SCAMP builder to SCAMP Sailor (.....and also SCAMP ongoing maintaince person...) Fair winds and good luck, SCAMPERS!
-Jason

-SCAMP "Argo"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
stjoeguy
New Contributor

Post by stjoeguy »

Looks great! I hope to have a similar experience in about a week. I bought SCAMP #25 from her builder in PA about six weeks ago. Brought her home to Saint Joseph, MI and started changing a bunch of stuff. A new sail was first. Then I removed all hardware to re-rig the boom, spar and mast. The builder had no reefing setup and very "different" rigging ideas. Removed his motor mount, added an adjustable. Put on a Garelick ladder on the starboard side. Cut out the floor to put in a foot well (20"). Added 5 hatches including one of the vertical hatches in the cuddy (he only had one on the stbd side). Then I beefed up the seat backs and added oar sockets. This has been an enjoyable project and I am getting close to getting "L'Ark" set up for the first sail. Maybe our paths will cross on Lake Michigan, Huron, Superior or the North country in Canada.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Congratulations on the first splash of your SCAMP. I know you will learn to like the rig and have a few tweets here and there.