European CE certification?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

BoatlessInWykFoehr
New Contributor

European CE certification?

Post by BoatlessInWykFoehr »

I have noticed in the Scamp international registry that there are quite a number Scamp plans and/or boats listed in Europe. Does Scamp have a CE certification yet?
Editors
Site Admin

Re: European CE certification?

Post by Editors »

CE Certification is in-process. We'll make an announcement when it becomes official.—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Timo
Regular Contributor

Post by Timo »

Any updates on this?
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
BoatlessInWykFoehr
New Contributor

Post by BoatlessInWykFoehr »

In the meantime I have learned that no European CE certification is required for self-built boats. Only boats manufactured commercially require a CE certification.

This fact allowed me to buy the in Ireland home built Scamp 238 and bring it 2016 to Wyk on the Island of Foehr in Germany. I am thus no longer boatless. Since there seems to be no way to change my profile to get rid of that "boatless" I better think about creating a new one.
Timo
Regular Contributor

Post by Timo »

That's correct. Directive 2003/44/EC has an exclusion section:
The following shall be excluded from the scope of this Directive:
(vii) craft built for own use, provided that they are not subsequently placed on the Community market during a period of five years;
Still, to help Scamp gain ground in Europe it's important to have the certification finished. Not everybody has time and skills to build a boat.
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

BoatlessInWykFoehr wrote:Since there seems to be no way to change my profile to get rid of that "boatless" I better think about creating a new one.
send an email to Josh, smallcraftadvisor@earthlink.net, to see if he as the forum admin can change usernames ... i as a moderator cannot.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi SCA,

the CE classification isn't needed indeed, but it was interesting to compare the ship for European guys. No need to go to the CE comission, you can calculate the seaworthiness rating yourself (The only interesting figure...): Is it an "D", an "C" or even an "B"?

Best, Martin

Here the google- translation of the 4 classes:

A >8Bft, >4m waveheight. Designed for extended deep-sea cruises where wind conditions above 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights over 4m may occur and these boats may be largely self-propelled, but only extreme weather conditions ( Hurricanes etc.).

B <8Bft, 4m waveheight. Designed for travel outside coastal waters where weather conditions can occur with wind force up to and including 8 and wave heights up to and including 4m.

C <6Bft, 2m waveheight. Designed for trips in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers, where weather conditions can occur with a wind force up to 6 and wave heights up to and including 2 m.

D <4Bft, 0,3m waveheight. Designed for trips in sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, narrow rivers and canals where the weather conditions are wind force up to and including 4 and significant wave heights up to and including 0.3 m and occasionally Wave heights of not more than 0.5 m, for example due to passing ships occur.