SCAMP Camp #8

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP Camp #8

Post by pocketyacht »

SCAMP Camp #8 is in full swing in Michigan. We have five boats in the shop and as always lots of progress and fun in the air.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg
As usual we have had friends with willing hands stop by to talk or lend a hand.
SCAMP #9 is scheduled for late August in Port Townsend and all are welcome to stop by for a visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knasman
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #8

Post by knasman »

Wow! You guys are getting so much farther along in the builds than camp #1. Howard, you have REALLY dialed in the method! Paint and hardware....incredible!!

:-)
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
Timo
Regular Contributor

Post by Timo »

Those are good news. Can't wait to see them finished. :)
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hey Keith and Timo
The new SCAMP Camp model..........new boats being built and boats under construction by home builders coming in for a hand. This has been the case for the last two Camps and it seems a great model. The next Camp is August in Port Townsend and boats under way are also welcome if a hand with any stage is needed. This Camp we had a boat upside down for glassing, a boat painted and ready for decking and Thom and Lynn in from Hamilton Ontario for an assist on rigging. Very enjoyable!
supertech
New Contributor

Post by supertech »

I've noticed that the SCAMP Camp never seems to come to the East coast. I'm currently living in MD and we sure could use one nearby, maybe Annapolis. After all, we do have the Chesapeake... Maybe the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building has heard of it :-) Next year I'm moving back to NC and they've got the Pamlico Sound. Anyone know why they're avoiding us?
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hello
Thanks for the note. I think "avoiding" may be a bit off;-).

Actually John and I would like to offer a SCAMP Camp somewhere east of Michigan (our furthest foray east to date) for 2017. In fact we are hoping a British or Europe venue comes together for 2017 as well, working on this now.

The question is facility............we are open to suggestions on venues and possible shops. If you or anyone reading here has an interest or suggestions on venues please post away.

SCAMP Camp is an interesting concept that is always evolving. It began in Port Townsend with new builds only and has morphed into new builds and existing builds underway being brought in for assists.

The mix of new boats and boats in process makes SCAMP Camp financially feasible plus I really enjoy the new iteration. If there are enough SCAMP new builders coupled with boats underway to make an east coast build a reality then we will schedule it.

Another version that has come forward is the "One On One" build. I am doing the third "One On One" build this September concluding just days prior to boarding a flight to meet my own SCAMP (hull #2) in Tierra del Fuego, Chile.

This particular build is being filmed and will be produced as a video build manual for SCAMP available in 2017.

We plan to announce the 2017 schedule this coming August. So if you or anyone here have any thoughts on venues post away and I will follow up.

Thanks again for the nudge!
supertech wrote:I've noticed that the SCAMP Camp never seems to come to the East coast. I'm currently living in MD and we sure could use one nearby, maybe Annapolis. After all, we do have the Chesapeake... Maybe the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building has heard of it :-) Next year I'm moving back to NC and they've got the Pamlico Sound. Anyone know why they're avoiding us?
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

I signed up for last summers Scamp Skills Academy with the hope of having a completed Scamp in tow. Not quite making it it threw all my left over parts into the hull, slapped a coat of epoxy only on the mast and spars, filled the truck with tools and headed for Port Townsend hoping for the best. Poor old number 70 sat on its trailer in the parking lot during the Academy ( which was still great fun and well worth the trip). The following week I move her to the commons at the marine centre where the Scamp Camp was taking place. It was great fun if a little slow as everyone kept stopping buy to ask questions and hopefully admire a nearly finished product. I think it was also of benefit to those involved In the build as they could get an idea of where they were heading. With the help of John, Howard, the great group in the camp, and especially Simeon, I got her seaworthy and rigged. as a non sailor the rigging had me somewhat stumped as I was having trouble conseptualizing the process without really understanding what everything was supposed to to. Was really fairly simple once I had some assistance. Launched her for the first time at the Rally the next weekend and aside from a few minor bugs, she did what she was supposed to and Howard guided me through my first sail. The centreboard liked to stick on the way down and she was a bear to get back on the trailer because of the way I had it configured. Just stuff to fix once home again. Home again to strip running gear again and properly varnish and seal all the hardware.

So I think the multifaceted approach to the new camps is a great idea

Cheers,
Dan