Gabrielle is for sale - and has been SOLD

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Gabrielle is for sale - and has been SOLD

Post by kenjamin »

Seems I can’t just keep building wooden boats and expect them to be happy sitting around and filling up my yard as I build even more boats in my shop. There’s also the realization that the Welsford Saturday Night Special that I’m currently building will better meet my needs as a fisherman. I love my little SCAMP but I am completely excited about the SNS being my ultimate fishing/sailing machine so I need to find a new home for Gabrielle. I’m also looking at all the safety stuff I need to buy to be in the Texas 200 with my SNS and I’m afraid there’s a debtor’s prison in my future if I continue on my present course.

Gabrielle resides in St. Augustine, Florida. She is currently rigged as a birdwing (curved masted) yawl but could be easily converted to the standard lug rig as provision for that was always a part of the design of her custom mast step. I would like to sell her as a bare hull on a 2013 trailer. For the bare hull on a like new trailer I was thinking of asking $4500 (US) but will entertain all offers including selling her complete with her current patented birdwing yawl rig with all three sails, two masts and a bowsprit for another $1500.

Gabrielle won an honorable mention at last year’s WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport for owner-built sail. She also won the award for boat that looks the most like a pirate ship at Sail Oklahoma in 2014. She is built of quality marine Okume mahogany ply with sapele mahogany transoms. All attached hardware will stay with the boat but I will keep my oars, anchors and such. She is not heavily glassed and covered with paint only but she is very sound and strong. I have a complete photographic record of her construction. She has an inboard motor mount that works well for motoring or can be used as an additional seat when just sailing.

Please PM me for more details, more photos and for my cell number to talk it over.
Gabrielle0601smallcredited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Gabrielle is for sale

Post by simeoniii »

She appears a real bargain at $6,000!
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

So so disappointed in you Ken. This is a death blow for a lot of us....Like getting rid of an dear old friend that has been so good to you. I always believed you when you said this was your all. Every thing you come to like was built into this Scamp. You have lost your attachment to her. Of course you know that things on this forum will also never be the same.....You owning that Scamp means that you are in a really special club with all of the other members. Wow! You are just so fickle. https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/fickle.
That's a lot to think about.

I have built 5 boats here in the Philippines and I still have all of them...I could never sell or give my babies away....It's would be better for me to give my boats a Viking funeral. You have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in Gabrielle and even talked to her some times while building her.

Chow my friend it's been fun.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

simeoniii wrote:She appears a real bargain at $6,000!
Thanks for the comment, Simeon. I want the new owner to be happy with her and getting a good deal is part of that. There's also the fact that she will take some work to accept the standard rig if that's the direction the new owner will want to go. I just don't want her to sit idle under her trap in the yard. She's given me a lot of pleasure building her and showing her off but I've got to keep developing my birdwing mast design and it will take some cash to do that.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

fred4win wrote:So so disappointed in you Ken. This is a death blow for a lot of us....Like getting rid of an dear old friend that has been so good to you. I always believed you when you said this was your all. Every thing you come to like was built into this Scamp. You have lost your attachment to her. Of course you know that things on this forum will also never be the same.....You owning that Scamp means that you are in a really special club with all of the other members. Wow! You are just so fickle. https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/fickle.
That's a lot to think about.

I have built 5 boats here in the Philippines and I still have all of them...I could never sell or give my babies away....It's would be better for me to give my boats a Viking funeral. You have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in Gabrielle and even talked to her some times while building her.

Chow my friend it's been fun.
Dang Fred! Nobody died. I'm looking for a new owner for Gabrielle because I care about her still and want to find somebody who wants to enjoy her and take care of her as I have done.

In the upcoming Texas 200 I have a chance to directly compare my birdwing rig against seven other Saturday night Specials all sailing the standard lug rig. I've never had a planing sailboat and I am very excited about trying the birdwing mast on a planing hull but it's going to take money that I do not have and have no other way of getting (without going into debt).

The other thing is for my fishing, the Saturday Night Special will much better utilize my 4 HP Yamaha as it was always too much power and too much weight for Gabrielle. Fishing is a passion of mine but to tell you the truth, my biggest passion is boat building and I am throughly addicted to the activity. Like most builders who realize this, I've got to eventually let go of my babies in order to build more. I just want to find a new home for Gabrielle where she will be loved and utilized instead of just sitting around the yard collecting dust.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. But hey, I hear you my friend. If I ever make it big with my birdwing mast, I'm gonna come visit you and fully expect you to take me sailing in your SCAMP! Our friendship doesn't have to die.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

You are most defiantly welcome to come any time you can.....also teach me a few lessons while here. That SNS sounds good but not familiar with it....Pop a picture or Web location on a post so we can check it out.....and friend I know what you are saying about building....That was also my favorite part. The build was so much enjoyed. That is a fantastic good price too. It will go fast and I know the buyer will be happy with it...You did not cut any corners while building it. Go for it Ken. Happy for you.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Thanks Fred, I sure would like to pop in for a visit but my travel budget will have to increase somehow for that to happen but it would be great to go sailing with you on your home waters. Here's that link for the Saturday Night Special:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... quot/page1

Please note that it is a Welsford design so I haven't wandered far. John has graciously agreed to let me inflict his boat design with my birdwing mast once again and for that I am grateful. He also plans to sail in the Texas 200 on one of the standard lug rigged SNS's so I hope to show him and his crew some speed when we all get together on the water. It's not a race but still I hope to be fast – should be fun whatever the results.
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

She's such a pretty boat! I'm sure someone will snap her up!
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Friends with SCAMPS wrote:She's such a pretty boat! I'm sure someone will snap her up!
Thanks for the comment. It will be difficult to let her go but when I look at the all the safety stuff I need to buy for the Texas 200 there doesn't seem to be another way.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Still buying more and more stuff for the Texas 200 and funds are getting low so I've reduced the price of the bare hull to $4000 and the price of the patented birdwing rig to $1000. Don't worry about the patent as I now own the patent myself, not Florida State University.

I'll be setting Gabrielle up in the front yard for sale and I wanted the internet prices to match the local prices. She's a well-built boat and worth every penny. Texas 200 or bust!!!