Shop space requirements?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

flyrdrjoe49
New Contributor

Shop space requirements?

Post by flyrdrjoe49 »

Hello all. My name is Joe and I'm new to this forum. I'm considering building a Scamp, most likely from a kit. My budget for a completed boat including trailer is around $7500. Is it conceivable to build/assemble one in a shed with inside dimensions of 9' 5" x 15' 5" with an outside (carport type) work table of 16 ft. I have a woodshop in my basement also. Also would it be practical to have the building jig on casters so it can be moved side to side within the shed. Also what would the minimum door opening needed to remove the finished boat? Thanks in advance.
knasman
Major Contributor

Re: Shop space requirements?

Post by knasman »

Welcome Joe!

I'd say that would be extremely tight and you would be hard pressed without at least being able to move it side to side. Even still, you might be better off getting her hull done and then put her in the shed to work on the innards. All of the innards work could be done in there with the boat all the way to one side.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Hi Joe,
I agree that the space would be tight, but the fact that you have the workspace in the basement could make up for it. I prefabbed quite a few parts of TOR in the basement and carried them up to the garage for installation, and we even filmed a time lapse of going from the jig and floor alone to all the basic bulkhead structure in about two hours. Initially, I think the jig needs to be rock solid until the basic hull is formed. After that point, there is no flex in the hull, (one scamp camp staffer called it a "brick"), so the jig can be put on casters and moved back and forth. I did that, and found it very helpful to have that extra few feet of side space.

The production of the kit is so precise that parts assembled away from the jig all fit perfectly in place, in my experience. Have fun with this build!

Mike #170 TOR
flyrdrjoe49
New Contributor

Post by flyrdrjoe49 »

Thanks for your replies. I also have a 20' x 22' garage but would likely end up in divorce court if I used it to build a boat unless the initial assembly could be accomplished in just a couple of months if that would be possible. Then it could be moved to the shed for finishing. I'm retired so I have lots of time to work on a build.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Hi Joe,
I built my scamp in a single car garage size that had 2 rows of tiers stacked on one side.It was tight and the build would have gone faster if I had had twice the room but you work with what you have.
Others have had their building frame on wheels ,great idea as you then can wheel it out side in good weather there by doubling your work space.

My build is here ,you can see I was a bit cramped for space but it can be done.
http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... f=3&t=1305