Sailing Observations

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

boblarkin
New Contributor

Sailing Observations

Post by boblarkin »

Hi All - I have had my new SCAMP, Wave Guide, out sailing several times, but never when I could just sit and try various situations. Yesterday, I went to Fern Ridge lake near Eugene, OR, with that as a plan. Fortune smiled and a minor weather system came through giving a variety of light wind conditions ranging from zero to about 10 kts, with some white caps. I experimented with everything I could and gained some good experience with the SCAMP. Everything was good and I had a fine time. However, I did end up with a couple of observations that I would like to toss out for comments. What are other peoples experiences?

First, I felt that the main sheet was over leveraged. I started out with the specified 3:1 tackle, and then moved the start of the sheet up to the boom to make it 2:1. At 3:1 the tug on the sheet was light and I was annoyed with the amount of line to fiddle with. At 2:1 it was still easy to control. The balanced lug, by its nature, has reduced sheet force. Stronger wind will create stronger forces but, I was not reefing the sail, and that would of course reduce the tug.

Second, with reasonable amounts of wind, say 5-kt or more, the rudder was a champ. It was easy to control, able to turn fast and showed a bit of weather helm, most of the time. But, at low winds (2 or 3 kt, say), I sensed there was not enough rudder surface. Even on a beam reach, with the CB down, I would stall the rudder trying to maintain course, and end up drifting to leaward. Going to wind was not possible until the wind picked up a bit. It just felt like more rudder area would be better, but at higher winds, this would just be more drag.Or so it seemed. What are other experiences? Remember, there are times we must ghost!

Bob L
Wave Guide #343
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Sailing Observations

Post by wdscobie »

my experience, though not extensive in SCAMP, is that she is well rigged for light and heavy airs. i've sailed the boat in light winds as you mention ... most recently last year, July '15, in Jackie Monies's COWBOY COOKIES on Port Townsend Bay, WA.

an important skill that Jerry Montgomery kindly 'beat into my head/body' is that when sailing in light air don't point to high; you must 'crack off some' in order to keep the boat speed up. The next is not being 'set' on a course. light winds are shifty and you must follow Mother Nature's lead. Jerry is an EXCELLENT light wind sailor ... a witch really. he can get a boat moving when others cannot.

Fern Ridge is a nice place to sail. spent some time on the lake back in 2011 on a Sage 17.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
boblarkin
New Contributor

Re: Sailing Observations

Post by boblarkin »

Dave, your mention of the GH SCAMP got me to look at some internet pictures to take a "survey" of main sheet tackle. As best I can tell from the photos, GH Boats and "Annie B" use the 2:1 tackle. "B. Frank" seems to use the 3:1 as per the plans.

Of course this is a minor issue anyway, since if you leave the main sheet long enough for 3:1, you can switch back and forth in a couple of minutes.

Maybe the rudder size is the one for discussion. I think any sail boat has some minimum speed where it can come up to the wind. At zero speed, there is no control at all. So, I guess it is judgement as to what that speed should be where you can bring the boat to the wind, since the penalty is more drag at higher speeds. I felt it needed more control at low speeds, but maybe I'm alone on that :)

Bob