Do you need skegs

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Richie UK
Regular Contributor

Do you need skegs

Post by Richie UK »

Hi all.
My wife and I have turned scamp 303 over .
We are just about to glass cloth the bottom.
I was wondering if the boat needs the skegs.
Could you just fit some thin runers to keep
the hull off the trailer .
I can not see me sailing where we would
dry out .
Do the skegs had strength to the hull?
Regards Richie uk
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Do you need skegs

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Richie.
No you do not need skegs but I wouldn't eliminate them either. SCAMP can sail in very skinny water with the centerboard up because of her skegs, nice for exploring shallows. In addition the boat will overall sail better with skegs than without. They help the boat track.
The skegs of course add strength to the hull just because they are there, stiff, etc. However they offer another version of strength in that they protect the bottom when beaching.

If the skeg build/installation seems intimidating let me know I can suggest some simple build methods/alternatives.
Richie UK wrote:Hi all.
My wife and I have turned scamp 303 over .
We are just about to glass cloth the bottom.
I was wondering if the boat needs the skegs.
Could you just fit some thin runers to keep
the hull off the trailer .
I can not see me sailing where we would
dry out .
Do the skegs had strength to the hull?
Regards Richie uk
Richie UK
Regular Contributor

Post by Richie UK »

Hi, thanks for your input ,ya I see now you are better with them.
Thanks but ,I am ok with the skegs build.
I've got some nice wood to use .
I will do the skegs,yard and boom together ,
While my wife looks after the painting of the hull.
Regards, Richie uk.
Johnny Walker
Regular Contributor

Post by Johnny Walker »

In 2012 I installed skegs that began as in the plans 3/4" thick, but 1.5" wide and continuing the full depth of 11" past the transom. This brought my CLR aft to balance the CE of the cat-ketch rig and consequently sits nicely flat on the trailer or the ground without increasing the draft of the hull. I have now re-rigged somewhat which has moved forward the CE so I'm going to remove the rear 12" of the skegs to keep her in balance and help her tack more quickly. I will still keep them flat as I like the way she sits on the bottom and on the trailer. The new rig will keep the 46 sq.' mizzen and replace the 46' main with a 54 sq.' balanced lug thus bringing the CE forward somewhat and quicken her tacks. My one fully fingered hand will still be capable stepping the very light carben spars and managing the small sails. Hopefully I can compare with standard rigged SCAMPs this Aug or Sept at a discussed "raid" in Yellowstone.