Sellers Remorse

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Sellers Remorse

Post by pocketyacht »

Hello Brent
The larger aft transom cap is no issue for the rower. I am very glad I built the transom cap, which serves numerous purposes.

There are many modifications on my boat and almost all of them were conceived of long before I started the build. I knew what I was going to do from first seeing the SCAMP design before hull #1 was built. In fact I was so confident in the design I purchased two kits 6 weeks before #1 was launched and am glad I went that way, although I ended up building only #2. #3 was meant to be a stock boat I built to learn from but I have had many other opportunities. My plan was to build #3 and then make final modification decisions for #2.

The best of the modification lot is the footwell. I was hesitant to advocate for it or other mods along the way as other builders were completing boats and showed interest in my ideas but I have to say the footwell is one of the best modifications of the lot, if not the best.

John Welsford has now seen and been aboard my boat and he is one happy designer and is incorporating many of the modifications I have made in his new Long Steps design. I wouldn't build another SCAMP without a footwell. If I don't want it for some reason I can just lay in the two drop boards used for sleeping but I am not sure when I would do that for general sailing.

I am penning this from the Strait of Magellan. My boat is about to hit the water for a sail south after completion of final preparations and a mast build. Yes I broke the mizzen mast before shipping, the only glitch so far, pure pilot error on my part and a major lump. The new mast was built largely in the shipping crate (Thank you Marty Worline and Dave Chase!!!!!)

Each time I work on the boat it's hard to believe a SCAMP is way down here but it's true. Her payload will be unprecedented in weight, stores for three months and safety gear plus! Simeon and I talked about my painting the waterline a bit higher, never did it, oh well. In two days time she will drop in the water by crane fully loaded.

Happy New year to all and to Keith THANKS!! My boat is safer because of you. Simeon and all who pitched in with a hand I am humbled by your friendship and kindness!

Just for fun:
Deb Colvin photo.jpg
Dry floor.jpg
Dry floor open.jpg

SC under sail and the dry floor system I designed. I carry two of these so I will have a shot at always having a dry cockpit as living space regardless of weather or a wet cockpit from spray. The material is amazing stuff and the photos show the dry floor open and unopened (yes that is Simeon in the photo). Opened allows me to put my wet feet into the footwell as I lay in a dry floor. Boots come off, drop boards go in and I am dry. These dry floors, tents, line bags, re-entry sling systems, seat cushions and other SCAMP specific sewn items of my design are now being manufactured and are available if anyone is interested. Let me know and I will put you in touch with the guy making them. Simeon has already ordered up items including the tent.

I have two tent models one for living large in light conditions and one low and streamlined yet really comfortable for high wind conditions. The low tent can serve triple duty as tent, half tent and sides up sun shade and its bone dry even in driving rain and wind due the gasket system I had installed.

Brent..................just do it, build another SCAMP!
Brent65 wrote:Keith,

Thanks for your thoughts and insights. Sounds like the best move is to leave the water ballast in place and simply row with a slow cadence. Howard built a longer transom cap (running further forward than the stock boat) on Southern Cross. This would bring the second person's seat further forward and possibly help with the trim. Do you think with a longer transom cap there would still be enough room for the rower to reach forward to initiate the stroke?

I really appreciate your thoughts Keith. Everyone's experience is very helpful.

Brent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Howard,

So great to hear from you, all the way from the Cape Horn. Our thoughts and prayers are with you regarding your most excellent voyage. I order the "below 40 South" tee shirt yesterday to help support the film. Preston and I feel very fortunate to have had you aboard Shackleton last year in Port Townsend. I want to go sail the North Chanel with you in the future.

I will build another Scamp, but my best friend (Jennifer, my wife) has advised me to use my newly built Skiff America for 1-2 years first. Then, if I still want another Scamp, I have her support. I feel the advise is well founded. So, it will be a couple of years before I'm back in the game. I will continue to learn from you and others as I plan my ultimate future build. I love what you have done to Southern Cross and plan to copy many of these features.

best regards on your expedition,
Brent
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

You should look into Welsford's Long Steps. Scamp style, better to row. You could still build in sweet scamp like mods.

While sailing from Washougal, to Astoria on my Scamp; Liberty 53, I loved hitting the oars to position myself in the channel, drift around weir damns, or to set multiple anchors in sweet little nooks.

I didn't love rowing 2 miles in the sun.

The rowing in around in the Gulf Islands in Canada was a bit much for me. Keith and Dale were always pulling away from my wife and I.

Derek
Liberty 53
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Derek,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and comments. I have looked at Longsteps and it does look like a very nice boat. I have posted a question on this forum regarding a comparison between the two, but the boat is so new, the comparison is tough to make. Do you think Longsteps will row better than Scamp, due to it's length and width? It will undoubtably be heavier, and it's going to be a lot more to build and store than Scamp so I'm a bit torn between the two. I would love to hear others thoughts...maybe we should post this under my forum question.

Best,
Brent
Brent Butikofer

Pocketship:

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Brent
Long Steps is scheduled to come in at about the same weight as a stock SCAMP and I mean almost identical weight but will row better than a SCAMP due to waterline length.
Brent65 wrote:Derek,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and comments. I have looked at Longsteps and it does look like a very nice boat. I have posted a question on this forum regarding a comparison between the two, but the boat is so new, the comparison is tough to make. Do you think Longsteps will row better than Scamp, due to it's length and width? It will undoubtably be heavier, and it's going to be a lot more to build and store than Scamp so I'm a bit torn between the two. I would love to hear others thoughts...maybe we should post this under my forum question.

Best,
Brent
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Howard,

I hope your correct. This seems almost impossible as Long Steps is 1" wider than Scamp and 6,1/2' longer. Even if the width is identical, how could it be near the same weight with the extra length? What am I missing? Do I have the math wrong?

I would love to love the boat, but if it's heavier to haul up onto the beach and harder to self right, I'm not sure it's for me. Your thoughts are greatly respected and appreciated.

Best,
Brent
Brent Butikofer

Pocketship:

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Straight from the designers mouth.
John and I have discussed the design at length in fact he is incorporating a number of the design modifications I made to my SCAMP into Long Steps, which is why we have been discussing it. I don't believe there is an exact weight yet but according to John virtually the same weight if you build to specs. The Long Steps prototype is not yet finished so a hard weight number has yet to be ascertained.
Brent65 wrote:Howard,

I hope your correct. This seems almost impossible as Long Steps is 1" wider than Scamp and 6,1/2' longer. Even if the width is identical, how could it be near the same weight with the extra length? What am I missing? Do I have the math wrong?

I would love to love the boat, but if it's heavier to haul up onto the beach and harder to self right, I'm not sure it's for me. Your thoughts are greatly respected and appreciated.

Best,
Brent
GENE L
Regular Contributor

Post by GENE L »

So what's been the verdict so far from past owners of a Scamp who have built and sailed the Long Steps?