Flipping the boat onto saw horses

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

Flipping the boat onto saw horses

Post by dndrich »

Fellow SCAMPers:

Finally back to build my boat after a long hiatus. Life just got in the way.

So, getting ready to flip the boat soon to work on the bottom. I plan to build two sturdy sawhorses. Looks like I need 28 inches of height or more to put the SCAMP upside down on the seats and clear the dodger frame on #3. But, to be clear of that, it looks like the first saw horse is just fore of amidships, with the other sawhorse near the transom. Will this hold the SCAMP with enough stability? Or, do I need to also put something under the bow to help hold it?
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
Richie UK
Regular Contributor

Re: Flipping the boat onto saw horses

Post by Richie UK »

Hi I'used saw horses I placed one inside close to the transom and one
outside under the bow.
So I could work out the height of the horses I placed a baton along the length of the boat on top of the cabin and down to the transom cap.I then levelled the baton up.
I then lifted the baton until the gap between the cabin top was a good
5in".I then measured the gap between the set top and the baton ,
then the deck and the baton .I placed a good thick carpet on the top of the horses,to protected the boat .I was able to sit on the bottom of the boat
while I worked on the hull.
My wife and I are close to fitting the boat out all the paint and varnish is done. Hope to have her in the water by April this year.
Regards Richie uk. Scamp 303.
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Used to standard saw horses ,protected the front deck and packed the rear up and down to level.http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... hp?id=3944Image
SCAMP333
New Contributor

Post by SCAMP333 »

Hi Daniel -- I think I remember Howard (or John) saying something about setting some support under the mast box, which makes sense since it's strong, centered and extends beyond other framework. Glad to hear that you're back at work on your boat.
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Now, I am trying to figure out the way to do this without dropping the boat! How have others done this? I figure if I get like 8 friends, we could probably just pick the boat up freehand and turn it over? Thoughts on this? I would roll her out of the garage on the jig, pick her up, roll her over in the air, and then walk back into the garage and put her on the saw horses?
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

I had very little room to move.Rolled the boat off the building jig , onto 2 car tyres one end at a time.Then lift aft end up and shift over onto saw horse then drag saw horse back.Have front deck and cabin top protected from floor.Then lift front and move onto saw horse and drag saw horse back to position.Done.
Richie UK
Regular Contributor

Post by Richie UK »

Hi Daniel,
If you have eight big lads that's the way to go ,have something soft to put her down on .roll her on to her side first sort your selves out then Finnish the roll .
My wife and I used straps under the hull they were then tied in a loop
around the hull . One at the back and one at the front .
I then had big D shackles tied to strong rope the rope went up around a block above the boat along a joist the length of the boat .
Both pieces of rope ended at a hand winch fixed to the joist .
We turned the winch and the hull lifted .
After taking the jig out of the way ,we then slowly rolled the hull
The straps moved with the hull slipping through the big shackles.
We rolled her back the same way sounds easy ,it was not ,we were very worried both times.
Good luck ,Richie UK
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

OK, I flipped the boat today! It went really well. I did it with 3 people, but 2 could do it. 3 would be easier.

Here was my process. I put 4 hooks in the ceiling about 6 1/2 feet apart fore to aft. That way the straps are a bit angled amidships so there is less tendency for them to slip off the ends. I tied line between the straps as well to prevent slippage. I then used the ratchets and lifted the boat easily off the jig. Removed the jig. Then, with 2 of us on the bow and stern, and one of us on the port side, we slowly lifted and rolled the boat watching the straps. Went over very easily. As we began to get the boat rolled we moved the saw horses into place. The boat was now suspended over the horses. With one person on the stern I released the stern strap and the person gently place the boat on the saw horse. No problem for one person to hold the stern that way. Similarly the bow was released. A bit heavier there, but still light enough.

The bow strap was kept in front of BH2 so that the strap did not engage the structures behind BH2, since my cabin sides and top are not installed yet.

Here are some photos. Apparently I can only put in 3 at a time, so I will put in two more in an additional post.
IMG_2540.jpg
IMG_2544.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dndrich on Wed May 10, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

A few more shots...
IMG_3309.jpg
IMG_3311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA