Everglades Challenge Report

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Everglades Challenge Report

Post by simeoniii »

What a great video of the start. I was glad to see Krunch get off so smartly. Mike and Andrew, with SCAMP, bring new meaning to "just in time engineering" along with "just in time construction". And let's not forget the rest of the tireless team with their leader Jackie - Three cheers for all! :D

Way to go!

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Ok, just erased the entire long report again! Have to do again but probably should have eaten a bite first and showered!

Scamp is fine, Mike and Andrew are fine and they rested one hour, took off for checkpoint 2 to sail overnight. Race is on weather hold and they are still in it.

Darn my fingers but I was at checkpoint about 6 hours until they got off again.

Jackie
jwboatdesigns
Regular Contributor

Post by jwboatdesigns »

Editors wrote:I believe Mike's hull #4 is named "JohnW" as tribute to her designer. —Eds

No guilty he said. She, or he, is called St John after John of Bastrop.

Johns been a mentor and inspiration to the Monies right from the beginning of their involvement in small boat. He's sailing singlehanded in the EC in a Michalac Laguna but we're suspecting that either the conditions got to be too much for him or that he's suffered some damage as his "spot" track has not shown any movement for a while.

John Welsford
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Trying this in shorter increments!

Scamp performed in stellar fashion, arriving at checkpoint 1 like the lady she is, high and dry and stylish. Others came in disheveled with gear floating in drenched cockpits but she rowed in with all her gear stowed in the cuddy cabin and lockers. According to the crew she took on no water except a little spray when some large waves slapped her sides, nothing else.

Things started looking bad for the EC about 7 am this morning. I checked the tracker maps, saw so many were just below or even above Venice and moving slowly. Mike and Andy were about 10 miles south of their position at 11 last night. I got them on phone after 9 a.m. and Mike said to head for checkpoint to ask for weather hold and later arrival from race manager.
Tore out of here and got there after 10:30 to find a weather hold for entire course was declared.

Then I sat and watched for about 6 hours while wasted exhausted paddlers and sailors came in with stories of nonstop winds that stopped all progress, then high winds and waves, horrors of the first leg that was making them drop out. Sailors that had completed numerous EC's were shaken and stunned by trip, paddlers told me it was worst trip in 24 years of paddling.

Frankly, I feared the worse. The EC tracker maps weren't working, there was no computer service. Where was Scamp? Boat after boat came in and often dropped out. Calls came in saying they were not coming, DNF.

Then I heard from Mike. They were about 5 miles north of bridge coming in thru Stump Pass. I had been listening to horror stories on Stump Pass for over 5 hours by then!

Then here came that cute little red boat and veteran WaterTribers said "That's a really BIG boat!" What they meant was they were expecting a tiny thing and coming down that canal she did look huge with those 9 foot oars on both sides.

We were so overjoyed that Dickens our tiny dog recognized our boat and Mike and jumped off a pontoon boat, onto the Wayfarer 16 and tried to board Scamp.

More on what they reported, all good!

Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Two Scamps- One is StJohn and one is JohnW

Jackie
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

outstanding reports Jackie. look forward to more details as time permits.

hint to you from my years of doing updates on forums and blogs while traveling around the country -

type your post in MSnotepad (or MAC equiv.) before you get on the www. be sure to save your work often while composing. you can edit the writing, save a final time, and then load the blog/forum page. now cut-and-paste from MSmotepad to the forum/blog.

the above saves you the frustration of loosing your post because even if the internet/browers/blog/forum fails you still have you work available to try again.

again, i GREATLY enjoy your updates on the second SCAMP to sail!
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
jwboatdesigns
Regular Contributor

Post by jwboatdesigns »

Works in Word as well, good idea.
Jackie, you're doing an exceptional job, well done!

Any news of John in his Laguna?

John Welsford
wdscobie wrote:outstanding reports Jackie. look forward to more details as time permits.

hint to you from my years of doing updates on forums and blogs while traveling around the country -

type your post in MSnotepad (or MAC equiv.) before you get on the www. be sure to save your work often while composing. you can edit the writing, save a final time, and then load the blog/forum page. now cut-and-paste from MSmotepad to the forum/blog.

the above saves you the frustration of loosing your post because even if the internet/browers/blog/forum fails you still have you work available to try again.

again, i GREATLY enjoy your updates on the second SCAMP to sail!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Thanks for the supportive suggestions all. It was so strange to go to EC and actually have all these Scamp fans who were following this site and knew who we were (including me) when they were people I consider giants in thier sport. I am like the talking dog, its a miracle I do it!

Onward with Scamp, they were becalmed last night just outside Big Sarasota, got little wind and what they got was on the nose. They would tack in and then tack out, by morning at 7 am they had made only 10 miles and were just below Venice inlet. Certainly it did not look as if they would make #1 checkpoint at Placida and as soon as I talked to them I ran to plead their case with Nick Hall/Pelican the race manager.

After lunch the winds had shifted to coming from the west, with winds in high and midteens. They had two foot seas, lumpy with no intervals or periods to the waves. The boat continued to point and handle with ease and they reported "a wonderful sail- she sails as good as she can sail."

Andrew says she is a rock solid little boat, handled all the rough seas well and when the winds picked up from a better direction she was hitting 4.5 with consistency. Asked Andrew what highest speed was and he said his gps showed 6.8 but he questioned validity.

Mike agreed and feels she is not a slow boat but is performing great. Both said she was almost totally dry even with big waves slapping her. She got some spray but no water into cockpit.

The wind shift allowed them to maintain a southerly course and they made up a lot of the distance when they stopped having to beat into wind with shorter tacks. At first light they were barely moving and by afternoon they were actually speeding along.

Andrew thinks the 100 square foot lug to be perfect on her. They left the beach under full sail and stayed that way, unreefed through all winds and seas. Never reefed once.

Few more notes and probably photos in morning!

Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

The booms gallows worked great, I have photos under oar with the mast and sail overhead. With the 9 1/2 foot sculling oars she looked a bit like a galleon coming down the canal which helped the "big" appearance.

The polytarp sail from PolySail International not only looked good, it sailed and performed well according to the two crew.

The guys are totally happy with rigging, the aluminum masts which went up and down easily, the hardware from Duckworks has performed with smooth, easy and effortless efficiency. Basically they do not have any complaints or a thing they would want to change.

The comment from all three of us while they rested a bit at the picnic table at Placida is that after this trip she will have proven herself to be a multifaceted boat, both an able cruiser but quite hardy as an expeditionary boat. Not a race boat, which she was never planned to be, but a boat that can take you into waters that perhaps you had not expected her to handle. And bring you back safely.

And that my friends is a nice thing to know!

Jackie Monies

Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

John Welsford-

I have been trying to track down StJohn/JohnHWright all afternoon and tonight. Chuck thinks he has dropped out and returned home but we can't reach him and he is still "missing" with the race manager. We believe he is OK but can't be sure.

WaterTribe requires a formal contact be made or they not only disqualify you but may also send the Coast Guard out. This race is causing fits for the manager as so many are still unaccounted for.

Jackie