Seat top installation, cleats on planks between B5 and B6?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

Seat top installation, cleats on planks between B5 and B6?

Post by dndrich »

SCAMPers:

I will be installing the seat tops soon. Hatch holes cut and backers installed. Now, in the manual there is no mention of any kind of cleat to support the outside edge of the seat top between say B5 and B6. There is no easy way to put a cleat there floating in the middle of a plank. The manual talks about trying to perhaps put a little fillet there. Since I have access to that spot with the seat installed now that I have a hatch hole cut, is there any reason to try to put a little support there? It seems to me that the width of the seat top there, combined with the fact that there might be significant load on that top when standing on it for example, might cause that area to flex or fail. Any experience with this? Or, is the glue adequate to hold everything?
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: Seat top installation, cleats on planks between B5 and B

Post by dsimonson »

Yup, just a fillet seems to be plenty of support. Applied after gluing in the seat-tops, between top edge of seat-top and inside edge of planking... that's all that seems to be needed, no flex when standing and jumping. (My wife and I only weigh about 140lbs each, though. Perhaps a jumping 300lb gorilla could use a cleat under there.)

Cheers,
Dale
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

OK, nice to hear. I will try not to jump up and down on it with gusto, and I will also try not to drink too much beer and gain weight!! I weigh in at 165. But, not sure my wife will join me much! Too bad, as she is really nice, and weighs in about 115 too.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Seat tops are on. Fillets look good. Seems strong too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
ElHeffe
Regular Contributor

Post by ElHeffe »

I did use cleats on the inside of the hull just to make sure that everything set well in there. It was something of a pain to get them in the right place, but it was harder trying to get a fillet in there once the seats were on.

https://building284.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... leats.html
PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com