Hull #417 from plans starting in Milwaukee

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

jhippe
Regular Contributor

Hull #417 from plans starting in Milwaukee

Post by jhippe »

I have been reviewing the plans for about a week now, making plans and dreaming. I am switching from building a Pelegrin to the Scamp. The Pelegrin is being put on hiatus while I build the Scamp. The reason for this switch is I took some time to examine my current sailing and decided that Scamp better suits all of my current pursuits -- from sailing the Great Lakes to the TX 200 and dreams of the Everglades Challenge. The Pelegrin is a great design for the Great Lakes, but not for the shallow water sailing or for quick day sails. I really think that Scamp really hits all the marks for what I want right now. I will get back to the Pelegrin after completing the Scamp.

I have all the plywood on hand so can begin as soon as I clear another project off my to-do list. I will be trying to keep costs down so will be building most everything I can -- rope stropped blocks, hatch covers, and cleats. I may also build the main from a kit from Sailrite -- though I prefer to buy this if I can.

I have been reading the collective wisdom contained in the community and would be interested in hearing any additional words of wisdom from others who have traveled this way.

Looking forward to the journey...