Attaching the deck

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

Attaching the deck

Post by dndrich »

SCAMPers:

I've got the seat tops in and filleted. Progress. Next, I plan to assemble the deck (kit boat) and then attach it before flipping the boat. Now, a few interesting issues. First, there appears to be a bit of a twist in my boat somewhere between B4 and B1. My boat was assembled at SCAMP camp, so one would figure it to be accurate, but it ain't. I made a few measurements, but without a laser level, I can't quite be sure where the problem is. No matter, no way to take it apart now!

So, it looks like there will be a bit of a triangular gap in front of B2 where the deck will sit in order to get the long aft portions of the deck to line up with the carlins. That will be fine, since I can always fill that spot with wood and fair. But, does the deck butt up against the sides of B3 and B4, or is there a gap there for the base of the cabin sides? I need to know for when I try to glue the thing down. Thoughts?
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Attaching the deck

Post by Peter E »

dndrich I built my Scamp from plans so I don't know all the little details of the kit. Since no kit builder replied take some of this advice with a gain of salt.

To check out the twist you can use a two stick method. This was used a couple of hundred years before the lazer level, not that I am that old. Take two sticks about six foot long could be longer, make sure they are straight. Place one at the rear of the boat so it sticks out on one side. Place the other up on the bow make sure both sticks are perpendicular to the boat. Hold in place with clamps if necessary. Go to the back of the boat and eyeball the two sticks if they are parallel to each other there is no twist. If not you will know how much twist there is. Now you will feel better because you are building a boat not a watch. Gaps are always over come with epoxy and filler.

Again because I did not have a kit there was a small gap between the sides of the cabin and the deck witch were filled and a small fillet.
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Re: Attaching the deck

Post by dndrich »

Not sure if I followed up on this. I attached the deck with the thought of making sure the aft portions lined up correctly, and that the cabin side situation would work out. So, that left the gap described. I solved it with a triangular spacer seen in the photo. Since the photo I have filled and faired it. Looks just fine. You can't tell! I figure there will be more of this kind of improvising to come.
IMG_2502.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA