Gig Harbor Oars easy assembly?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

Gig Harbor Oars easy assembly?

Post by dndrich »

So I'm out there figuring out how the oars will fit under the coaming in my SCAMP build, and I finally start playing with the oars. Now, what am I missing here? They slide together nicely, but I do not understand the holding mechanism. It looks like the two halves are kept together by a screw that one turns counterclockwise to fill the hole in the shaft. Am I to believe that one must keep a screwdriver aboard to assemble while underway? That can't be right, but I can't figure out how these work. I know some of you have them. Can you explain? Mine came without instructions. I mean, who would need instructions for oars??
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Gig Harbor Oars easy assembly?

Post by wdscobie »

the oars that i used on Jackie Monies GHBW built SCAMP 'Cowboy Cookies' required a screwdriver to assemble ... something i found out once i was out on the water and needed to put them together! i ended up using 1/2 an oar as a paddle (wasn't fun but worked).
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

I've been thinking of getting a pair. This sounds like an inconvenient glitch. Would the integrity of the oar be compromised by drilling a hole clear through for a pin?
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Friends with SCAMPS wrote:I've been thinking of getting a pair. This sounds like an inconvenient glitch. Would the integrity of the oar be compromised by drilling a hole clear through for a pin?
These are really nice oars, but this assembly is an issue. Yes you need the screw setup, which means I will keep a small screw driver ready for quick assembly and disassembly. I think drilling them for a pin would be a mistake. So, I will put up with this design. On the plus side it looks like they will fit under the coaming completely out of the way if I cut a slight notch into the upright on B7. That will be really nice. According to Pocketyacht (Howard!) if I do that, they don't even need to be lashed. They will stay there.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

I have a pair of these oars and lucky for me, my Boye sailing knife has a blunt end that fits perfectly in the slot. And the knife is always attached by a lanyard to my PFD. Maybe you could find a similar knife solution.

A pushbutton type would have been a better choice for Saywer to use, IMHO.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

Post by Dave Robertson »

Sawyer is reluctant to use push buttons on our two piece Scamp oars because of the buttons' tendancy to slip up the tube if not used carefully. The screw locks are 100% positive every time.
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Dave Robertson wrote:Sawyer is reluctant to use push buttons on our two piece Scamp oars because of the buttons' tendancy to slip up the tube if not used carefully. The screw locks are 100% positive every time.
Hmm. Well, that is unfortunate, because it makes getting the oars together in a hurry harder. At least, one has to have a tool readily available for this.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA