Hoops for cabin or boat cover

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter E
Major Contributor

Hoops for cabin or boat cover

Post by Peter E »

I have received material for a shelter for my Scamp. I have snaps to hold the material but no poles to hold the material up. Some have used ten poles but I have no idea where they got the poles or how the poles were attached.

It would be nice to know how those who have a shelter like any changes that they might make or if they love what they have.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Hoops for cabin or boat cover

Post by pocketyacht »

Peter
If you decide to use poles then I suggest "Tent Pole Technologies" out of Seattle.
I suggest a tent without poles or a single pole that forms a hoop.
Peter E wrote:I have received material for a shelter for my Scamp. I have snaps to hold the material but no poles to hold the material up. Some have used ten poles but I have no idea where they got the poles or how the poles were attached.

It would be nice to know how those who have a shelter like any changes that they might make or if they love what they have.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Thanks Howard, I was intending to have a low profile single pole shelter. I also would have a small one to do personal business if other people were around. This shelter would be nice if I left the boat on the water to keep rain out.

Before I am done I probably be a sewing machine expert. hee hee
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Like you I built a SCAMP and this photo is of the no pole tent I use. It is darn near perfect for the job and dry even in driving rain and snow/ice. I have recently tested it in difficult conditions and wouldn't change anything.
Hope this helps you decide how to proceed.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ober27
New Contributor

Post by ober27 »

I would love to see more photos of Scamps with shelters, both from outside the boat and within.
Is anybody thinking of offering shelter plans or kits for Scamps?
I'm particularly interested in how a person would, as Peter says, "do personal business" with some privacy.
ElHeffe
Regular Contributor

Post by ElHeffe »

Here are some old pictures of my canvas tent. It's rough but it works. For example, I still haven't sewn up the seams, but I have trimmed it. I'll see if I can't get some new pictures of the various improvements I've made.

I went through a lot of fibreglass replacement poles. They kept breaking, especially when I had a snow load on the tarp over the winter. The bend to get height while being only 4 feet apart is stressful.

I finally tried these flexible aluminum poles. They have bent just a bit but they seem to hold up well. I had to re-string them to the correct length, but that was easy.
PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Peter, I had an elaborate (and expensive) bimini made for Shackleton, that at first glance seemed awesome, but in real practice became too time consuming and complicated to deploy. It also encumbered the cockpit (when down) with potential main sheet snag points. My suggestion would be a very simple, easy to deploy, hoop-free tent, like Howard took to South America. This will not offer much interior room, but will be bomb proof, easy to deploy and stow and very reliable. Otherwise, I would simply use a bivy sack like those manufactured by OR (Outdoor Research). Sometimes you have to overdo things before you can settle on a solid happy medium. This was my case. I firmly believe simpler is better. After all, this is a very small boat. In the end, you are "out in it" no matter how much protection you try to design into the cover. Just my thoughts...
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

I cruise 2-up, so need shoulder room... this is still in experimental phase but seems to be working. It will only be useful in benign conditions, I need a low-profile version too. This one hangs from the boom, so requires the rig up.

Imagetent prototype by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Imagemore views of tent prototype by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Imagelooking forward: lots of shoulder-room so you can rest out against combings by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
Roux
Regular Contributor

Post by Roux »

I have been wanting a cover for my Scamp as well. Do you have a design? I like the look of Howard's. But what kind of room is inside? If my lady and I want to sleep aboard I'll need to make a bridge over the sole for a bed. But with that I need more head room... I also need it to be a cover to protect the cockpit form rain all summer when moored. (My PT hatches aren't water tight)

I drew this thinking it could go over the boom with loosened lazy jacks. I was going to use aluminum tent poles to create the shape. Think it will work? or is it too complicated? I'm making it out of sunbrella.

ImageScreen Shot 2017-06-21 at 11.25.53 PM by Johann Curry, on Flickr

-Johann
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

I've found that the fiberglass battens that are sold at Westmarine [they're orange and 8 ft long] are surprisingly strong and don't take up much space on the floor of the boat. I use two, the main one shortened only slightly to 7 ft [determined by how high I want the arch of the tent. I want to sit on my rowing seat with headroom under the tent], and one shortened to about 6 ft aft of the primary hoop. Each hoop is fitted with 1/2" aluminum bars at the ends that fit into the oarlocks. The bars are slightly bent right at the end of the batten so that the hoop is flattened a little. They take a little effort to install because they are very stiff, but once in, they are strong and stable, and the tent can easily be pitched over them and tied down firmly. I've grabbed a hoop a few times when boarding in rough water, and they feel almost like permanent structures, so they're likely to hold up to a fair wind, though about 30mph is the most I've exposed them to while aboard.
Happy sewing and happy sailing!
Mike #170 TOR