Hanging Planks with Composite Brads

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Desert_Sailor
Regular Contributor

Hanging Planks with Composite Brads

Post by Desert_Sailor »

Getting ready to hang planks. Have some of the Red Hawk 3/4" 18g composite brads that Josh/Duckworks sells. My cheap Harbor Freight brad nailer seems to launch them well enough.

For those of you who have used them -- how did you use them on the garboard plank? Did you clamp the plank the plank in place and then shoot brads into the edges of the hull bottom/bulkheads as you went down the length of the hull?

Need all the help I can get from all of you, because I'll have no extra help hanging the planks -- it will be a solo operation.
--
Mark
scamp14
Regular Contributor

Re: Hanging Planks with Composite Brads

Post by scamp14 »

Hi Mark,
I used cable ties, 300mm long strong ones. to hold everything together. I drilled 6mm holes, then when the thickened epoxy was dry, took them out and plugged the holes with 6mm dowel.
Paul
Desert_Sailor
Regular Contributor

Re: Hanging Planks with Composite Brads

Post by Desert_Sailor »

Thanks, Paul.

The port side garboard plank is hung. I used a combination of clothespin clamps and wedges and the composite brads along the bulkheads to snug it all up everywhere except at the bow. The twist required several #6 x 3/4" sheet metal screws to torque it into place. Those screws aren't coming out until the garboard is taped off and the rest of the planks are hung.

As the rest of the planks go in, I might experiment with the brads -- shooting them into the bulkheads, and using the clothespin clamps along the rest of the plank to snug up the joint.