Sunfish trailer for SCAMP

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Desert_Sailor
Regular Contributor

Sunfish trailer for SCAMP

Post by Desert_Sailor »

I have a line on a used trailer. It has a Sunfish on it, but owner is willing to sell the trailer separately. Galvanized. 12" wheels (I think). Certainly long enough. BUT only about 34" between the frame rails at the back end. Given the 5' max beam of SCAMP, can this be made to work?
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Sunfish trailer for SCAMP

Post by Peter E »

It depends on how much you use it and how far you go. The trailer must be alright for a sunfish. Now your Scamp is around 500 lb. I would question going down the free way in traffic at 60 or 70 mph with that trailer. Now if you are just going down the road and traveling a 35 mph that is different.

If the trailer Is free and the sunfish goes with it. Go for it !!!
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

I know its all about keeping a light boat; but when Liberty 53 is loaded down for a cruise, she is heavy! I pulled over at a truck scale and saw close to a 1000lbs for boat, trailer, and gear. Thats not even including tongue weight! I've been leaving my cast iron skillets home on recent cruises.

I love the beefy EZ loader I got a scamp camp 1. Torsion suspension works great (especially when heavily loaded) and the lifetime sealed waterproof bearing are the bees knees. The long tongue is nice when backing down ramps and parking.

I say invest in something you feel confident with, a beefy trailer reduces stress when you nail pot-holes. If you're hitting freeway speed for more than a couple miles you need a solid set up. greased bearings, nice tires, and brake lights that work.

I think the best scamp set-up is a flatbed with rocker that matches the skeg profile, side guards would be sweet to help land on the trailer.

-Derek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desert_Sailor
Regular Contributor

Post by Desert_Sailor »

Just to close the thread...the trailer had a load capacity of 500 lbs. with 8" tires. While this could be improved somewhat with 12" tires and selective reinforcement, I decided to pass. The Harbor Freight utility trailer will suffice for the short term.