Beaching Scamp

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Roux
Regular Contributor

Beaching Scamp

Post by Roux »

I'm planning a 5 day San Juan Island trip. A few nights I plan to beach scamp and then sleep in her. I was curious if there was anyway to ensure that she lays flat on the beach? I've done a bit of back packing and I know sleeping at a any excessive angle can make for an uncomfortable night. Has anyone put stilts on the Scamps transom to adjust for shore steepness?

-Johann
knasman
Major Contributor

Re: Beaching Scamp

Post by knasman »

Johann,

I've purposely dried out on the tide as well as beached Zephyr at the Maritime Center in Port Townsend. I was lucky on the dry out as it was pretty flat. PT was a bit of an incline but I had no problem. If you have the Duckworks beach rollers you could leave the aft end up on a roller and drop the front. That would compensate a lot.

Swinging from the hook is the way to go though and with Scamp's minimal draft you can cozy up nearly anywhere. You just need to make sure you aren't high and dry when you want to leave :-)
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
miguelito
Major Contributor

Re: Beaching Scamp

Post by miguelito »

Hi Johann,
I'm with Jeff on swinging on the hook. I have a friend who beached his Scamp (on a lake with no tide) and the wind came up in the night and literally filled his boat with water from waves. He now contends that boats belong in the water where they can move with the waves and not get pooped and swamped. A little research on anchoring options that will hold your boat out off the beach might make your trip more safe and comfortable. Good sailing!
Mike #170, still working on the Scamp spinnaker!