Two questions

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Paul Breeding
Regular Contributor

Two questions

Post by Paul Breeding »

Are the fiberglass SCAMPs to be made by Gig Harbor Boatworks utilizing a carbon fiber mast? If so will a similar mast be available for builders using either the kits orn plans?

I believe Dan Phys (sp?), builder of one of the early SCAMPs used a SUZUKI outboard motor, were there any other SCAMPs using a gasoline outboard? Would Dan (and any others with SCAMP outboard experience) either share the pluses/minuses/pariculars with the forum or with me directly pbreedingco2@msn.com? In anticipation of using an outboard auxiliary I have reinforced the port side of the transom, I also reinforced the starboard side for attaching a boarding ladder. I would appreciate hearing the experience and opinions of others. Paul Breeding #82
Editors
Site Admin

Re: Two questions

Post by Editors »

Hi Paul,

I believe GH is using wooden spars.

I'll let other comment on outboards—haven't used on one the prototype yet.

Best,
Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

If you are planing on hanging a motor off an exterior bracket, it's tough to beat Honda's air-cooled 2 HP four-stroke at 27 lbs. dry. It won't take a remote fuel tank but you can buy 1 liter fuel bottles for accurately and easily filling the 1 liter tank when it goes dry. I'll be using my 4 HP Yamaha on my SCAMP but only because I already had the unit and I really like it's remote tank which gives it more range without messing with gasoline than most folks would want to use. At 47 lbs. my Yamaha is too heavy for this old back of mine to hang off a outboard bracket so, with input from Mr. Welsford, I built an inboard motor well which will allow me to straddle the motor and bend my knees for lifting out and dropping in. If I hadn't already had the 4 HP, I would have bought the Honda 2 HP for my SCAMP.
Paul Breeding
Regular Contributor

Post by Paul Breeding »

Kenjamin I would like if we cqn discuss this off-forum as I would like to ask detail questions of you. The concept of a motor well is quite appealing, plus I think that I am at a stage in the construction where a hull modification would not be that difficult. You can reach me off-forum at pbreedingco2@msn.com. While I appreciate your recommendations of the HONDA I already have the 27 lb. 4 stroke SUZUKI. Paul #82
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Your Suzuki will work fine. If it's alright with John Welsford, I could share his drawing of the motor well that he designed for my SCAMP. By the time I got his drawing I had already built one and pictures of it are here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... t=birdwing

I'll send you some e-mail after supper. The salmon just got out of the oven!

Hey Paul, I just tried to e-mail you but I got an error message. I might have to delete some of my messages to make room. This happened a while back so I'll try to correct the problem or send me a pm.