Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by wdscobie »

ericleif wrote::) no danger of that. As soon as it’s ready, I’m gonna start sailing my heart out!
A good friend, we've known each other for 47 years, has a philosophy that I agree with -

when he buys a new truck he does two things -
  • throws a bunch of shovels and rakes into the bed to scratch it up.
  • drives down a narrow forest road with overhanging branches to put some slight scratches along the side

boats, like trucks, are tools and are to be used! i follow his model and did the same when I bought a new truck in 2016. my '83 M17 has plenty of 'beauty marks' :lol:
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

47610E69-C69A-40B1-8694-EA6FA5250BF8.jpeg
And the hull is done, 3 layers of paint painted, tape taken off

I used interlux perfection (2 part). It’s not bad to work with but I put it on too thick I think. It’s ripple-y and I got a bunch of sags under the chines/gunwales. Next time (top sides) I’m going to roll out thinner, and...use a bit more thinner.

My Tyvek suit, debased and rejected (and airing out):
5C290372-4876-4E77-9A03-C6F561082A9F.jpeg
Maybe the best piece of safety equipment I’ve purchased below. I have a half mask that never quite fit right, but this mask seals so well and is so comfortable.. I really, really, really, regret not buying this sooner...
AC6D77CF-B4B5-42BB-8761-DCC6FB417A68.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

One more of the hull (I love this juicy color):
11BD2E01-9914-40CA-B27C-535E524B3F9F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Well, I just finished painting everything top sides (still need to varnish exposed wood parts). Phew! It was hard, maybe the hardest part of the build for me. I did it all at once for various reasons, but not sure I’d recommend it :|

I used some primer underneath and 3 coats of paint on top of that, and it seemed like 3 was the min. needed to cover the darker spots, and corners, fillets etc. that are harder to paint. It seemed like it took about 17-18 oz per coat (the hull took about 8 per coat). That 17-18 includes painting the rudder, centerboard cap and B3 hatches. I mixed 3 batches per coat and started with inertior of cuddy, then behind coaming (slow, hard parts first), then seat tops, transom, coaming, seat longitudinals and finally the sole. I did the last bit of the sole near the transom from outside the boat, and then painted everything else starting with the cabin top.

It was a good experience, and here are some things I learned:

Filling screw holes on the deck (glossy paint is unforgiving!) could have been done better without any more work. I think if I had filled and scraped/sanded them down to level after the deck already had a couple layers of well cured epoxy, it would have prevented the raw, soft wood from being worn away around the screw hole areas which ended up leaving little dips.

I’m stingy and wanted to use the foam roller and tip off brush as long as possible, but when I switched to new ones mid-batch, the results were much better.

I did try to control dust a bit (despite building in a dirt floor garage), but simply wiping off the next surface to be painted right before painting that area made a big difference and only took 2 seconds - didn’t realize that until the end.

So far the build has been about process and anticipation, but as soon as the paint goes on, all of the sudden, it’s a material object...a boat in a garage which is both exciting and weird.
Last edited by ericleif on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

51C95231-6EF1-4EDD-82EE-DEF62C6B68AE.jpeg
77D03CD8-E21C-4A38-B123-ADDC67B288DE.jpeg
4B394A44-A9CF-4C0F-854B-78EF627FF41E.jpeg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I splurged on a bronze star : )
F840D888-E1E1-4368-9FA1-97F0B5F534E6.jpeg
After painting the hull I waited a week for the paint to cure before taping off the hull to paint the deck. Now I’m waiting again before taping off the deck and other parts in order to varnish the exposed wood.

It’s a good time to finish up details like this:

Making turn-dog/latches from 1/4” Delrin, for my Russell Brown style hatches on B3...
B04CEBBA-F81A-46E4-B3C1-58D3B2F7DEF8.jpeg
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Eric, This is the finest level of finish work I've ever seen on a Scamp build. You've done a most excellent job and one of which you should be very proud.
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi Eric,

The quality of your construction and the smoothness and shine of your joints and paint looks to be truly second to none. Wow, I am impressed.

-Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Hey Brent and Jason - Thank you for those words! That means a lot!

It’s been great building along side both of you, and your inspiring blogs. I’m really greatful our builds overlapped in time.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

...more details...instead of making wood risers for the cabin top hardware, I laminated 1/4” Delrin left overs that I will shape later. That way no layers of epoxy/paint are necessary to seal, just shape and install. So far, I’ve had good luck gluing slippery plastic like this by roughing up, wiping with alcohol, and brushing with propane flame right before epoxying.
83A531F9-E2EE-4BDF-B3E6-229D8A30159F.jpeg