Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by ericleif »

Thanks Howard!!!
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Brent - I think Howard’s advice is the best. But if you still end up with texture for whatever reason, one solution could be to do a quick 80 grit sand to knock down the highest points (I also scrub with scotch brite to get further into the valleys). Then while the last layer is hopefully still curing (for a chemical bond as well), roll on to deposit and then skim coat/squeegee a thin final top layer with an epoxy spreader. If you press hard the layer goes on thinly and consistently and fills in the valleys. That can leave you with a pretty smooth surface.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

...skim coated a final 6th layer of graphite epoxy and sanded smooth...small boat/giant pencil:
77EC533B-AEA3-499C-B83C-824C72692A97.jpeg
Then attached skeg runners and Mylar centerboard gasket with g-flex (the gasket has a side with weave to accept epoxy:
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ericleif on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I’ve read it’s fine to move the skegs inboard a bit, and I did that to make room for the gasket, but I really like the idea of the skegs being as close to directly underneath the seat longitudinals as possible. I moved them in around 3/8” which left a little shelf, and about 1/8”-1/4” of glue surface for the gasket. Not sure that will hold up, so am putting a little fillet there to keep it pinched in:
31E84CAF-0909-4E68-A778-2563F016F897.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Last weekend I flipped SCAMP (Birdy) back upright - just ratchet straps and my arms and it went very smoothly...I stopped half way through to do a little work and to check things.

I temp. installed the centerboard - it works smoothly and is straight. I was worried about that, so it was a relief to see the bushings were glued in true.
IMG_0842.jpg
And...I started hacking up the centerboard gasket to make it work:
IMG_0852.jpg
Here is my final gasket fore and aft solution...

aft:
IMG_0862.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

...and fore:
IMG_0863.jpg
The epoxy seems to hold the gasket great under stress. The little black dot in the middle of the gasket is a sharpie mark to indicate where the aft edge of the centerboard should line up. I can see this from above looking into the centerboard trunk. When I first launch, I can use that spot determine where the stopper knot should be in the centerboard uphaul line, so the board stops at the right spot.

I wasn't planning on putting a lip/hand hold along the top of the veranda top as Howard and others have done, but changed my mind. I just installed it - and am very glad I did - in my mind, it offers a couple of benefits, but also, just feels right to me:
IMG_0889.jpg
and finally started planning a cockpit tent:
IMG_0872.jpg
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Eric,

Boat is looking very nice. I love the matte (sanded) finish of the graphite epoxy. What grit paper did you use to get this result?

Also, I'm very anxious to see what you come up with for a tent. Where did you buy your pole set and how are you securing the poles to the coaming?

Keep up the good work
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Hey Brent - your blog is so great! Boat looking great too.

Grit: 80 between layers, then wet sanded with 150, 220, then scotchbrite pad.
AD9B107F-ECD2-40E7-BDBD-A5E86991D24D.jpeg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I’m excited about building a tent...I have an 20+ yr old mountaineering tent with Easton aluminum poles. The tent is shot but poles are fine. I took all the curved sections from all the poles and combined them into one pole. I still needed a couple more bent sections so had to bend some too. Here is my makeshift bender (the section is packed tightly with sand):
F5A23976-7B84-4021-8FE7-FD40F1C4CC64.jpeg
If you go this route and are curious, I can send a pic of the curvature of the sections - I think it will work well.

Here is my plan for attaching the pole into the oar locks...they will sit at an angle like this:
D7331704-A285-43D8-BF9A-5CC6F47330FB.jpeg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I’m going to cut off the ferrule ends of two spare sections and cast them into thickened graphite epoxy. They will form the last little end sections and will fit into the oarlocks without much play:
BD2D05CA-F175-4E48-A9E3-37B9598E2DC5.jpeg
552ADA55-A64A-4412-815E-F044F92F6B1E.jpeg