Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by ericleif »

-Getting ready to attach the hull planks, looking from this angle and that, to try to make sure the bulkheads are aligned.
IMG_2799.jpg
And the side planks are on! No more adjusting; past the point of no return, and it feels great!
IMG_2777.jpg
I notched bulkhead 7 so the Gig Harbor oars I purchased can be stored out of the way.

The pieces of paper along garboard are templates to cut fiberglass to fit (cut bigger than the paper to give some overlap). I don't think it will be nearly as strong as Kevlar, but hopefully will give a little extra protection along the garboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Cockpit sole underway. I decided to use Armstrong hatches in the seats and sole, and wanted to limit flexing to get a good seal. Gluing up the 9mm hatch opening doublers/stiffeners here from kit scraps (two 8" hatches, one 6" hatch and one 10" hatch):
IMG_2729.jpg
And then the sole doubler on the top:
IMG_2755.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I spent a lot of time (too much time) thinking about hatch placement on the seats. I wanted to make sure I could reach everywhere under there. It's a little tight on the centerboard side but it all worked out - two 8" hatches and one 6" hatch on each side.

Tracing out doublers/stiffeners from kit scrap:
IMG_2867.jpg
Port side:
IMG_2900.jpg
...and starboard side:
IMG_2901.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Here's how the seat hatch worked on the centerboard side (later I rasped into the seat longitudinal cleat to complete the circle/lip for the hatches). I wanted the hatches inboard enough so that they weren't under the cockpit coaming where the oars will be stored.
IMG_2925.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I decided I wanted some lights under the cuddy, for camping out, but also for keeping an eye on the compass when night sailing. These lights are great. The are waterproof, light and the batteries are cheap. They last for days in the on position. I shaped this piece of wood so the red light throws a spot on the compass mounted on B3. On the other side I'll mount a white LED light for camping.
IMG_2981.jpg
IMG_2983.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

The idea of an easily removable centerboard cap seemed like a good idea, and kept my brain working for a while. Here's what I did...
IMG_3783.PNG
First...
IMG_3606.jpg
Then:
IMG_3669.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

And...
IMG_3671.jpg
It seems to work well:
IMG_3699.jpg
IMG_3672.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

IMG_3673.jpg
The two 3/8" stainless quick release pins (and the aft butt/end of the cap that extends under the seat) snug the cap down nicely.

I did glue in an extra little piece of wood to the underside of the seat cleat to give some wood to drill through since the holes were so low. I made sure the cap was clamped down so it didn't shift while drilling the two holes.

Drilling all the way through to the inside storage area seemed necessary for dry fitting (later sealed up), and a dowel on hand to push the bushings in to place, also helped.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Finishing up the centerboard area. With the 21 lbs of lead in the centerboard, there is probably no good reason for a downhaul/hold down line. But...I could think of one circumstance...After a bit more rationalizing, I did it:
IMG_3784.PNG
IMG_3608.jpg
I had to file down the little clam cleat plastic button/cam so it would release easier with the friction/90 deg. turns, but it releases fine.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

IMG_2494.jpg
Incase anyone is wondering what happens if you use non-blushing MAS epoxy below the recommended minimum temperature...blush happens. This cured while temps were between 40-50 deg F. It took me a while to figure out why I was getting some serious fisheyes :shock: