Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by ericleif »

One step that is quick and that might really help if using hinges...I put a layer of 6 oz glass on the inside of the bulkhead (just around the hatch opening - dimensions to match the stiffener) before gluing the stiffener on to that area. I wetted out the glass, waited until tacky/green, trimmed the excess off in the hatch opening, then glued the stiffener on.

That layer acts like a spacer and creates a little gap between the stiffener and lid to accommodate the layers of sealing epoxy and paint (if used) that would otherwise "push" the hatch lid to a level higher than flush, relative to the surrounding bulkhead and might cause problems with hinges and turn dogs working properly. I also just coated those parts with epoxy and epoxy/graphite; I'm not adding extra layers of paint there where things make contact.

The green is the layer of glass:
IMG_4306.PNG
First drawing without glass (you can see the problem), second with glass (black is epoxy to seal wood):
IMG_4305.PNG
These drawings are not accurate, proportionally. Hope that makes sense!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Leftover brass half-round put to use for a little more protection at the bow stem (drill/fill/drilling holes for screws):
IMG_4311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

The brass rub strip was pretty flimsy, so I remade a strip by grinding down some 316 stainless bar stock. Drill/fill/drilled and dry fit here:
IMG_0082.jpg
Skegs are on! I placed them inboard a bit which created a little 9-10 mm ledge on the inboard side of the centerboard trunk to glue a gasket onto. Little fillet there made with a bic pen, and big fillets everywhere else. I screwed the skegs down from the inside. It was a pain maneuvering a drill up inside there, but it worked out fine.

Drilled/filled spots for future screws that will help hold the UHMWPE strips onto the skegs:
IMG_0094.jpg
And then, fiberglassing all the remaining surfaces. I smushed just a bit of thickened epoxy into the routed hand-hold groves, especially in the ends of the grooves. Then while still wet, I pushed glass (on the bias) in there which worked great - no bubbles - didn’t lift away at all from the surface while curing.
IMG_0095.jpg
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Eric, Wow, it looks like your doing a really nice job on your build. I love the way you did your skegs. Keep up the good work.
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

A note on aft installed venturi bailers, they don't work well due to aerated water flow.
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi, Eric great work on your boat, man your work looks tidy and clean.

SCA, Howard, Welsford, other builders: On the topic of venturi bailers....it’d be great to learn from you if there is an effective location to mount a bailer and further, what bailer should be used. My apologies if this has been definitively answered somewhere already. I have looked and have not found the answer, but that may only indicate the weakness of my researching skills. I have elected to not install bailers anywhere on the Argo, due to the poor reports of bailer performance on the forum. The bailer on my first boat, a Snipe, worked great and such a feature would be great. That said, I am aware that a Snipe and a Scamp are two different animals. Thanks in advance for any experience on an effective location and model of Venturi bailer for SCAMP.
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Really looking nice Eric!
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Jason
You wrote, "I have elected to not install bailers anywhere on the Argo, due to the poor reports of bailer performance on the forum."

I posted a note about aft mounted venturi bailers because I noticed the two cut outs in your hull aft near the cockpit sole sumps and assumed these were for bailers. Perhaps you have decided to close the openings or they are for something else.

*I suggest no bailers is the right answer. The low transom plugs or plug in the cockpit will suffice. This said, does your boat have a footwell as per the new plans?

Since we are a small boat family of sorts I thought I would share this for fun, a photo I just received yesterday from Chile.

I have two maxi boat venturi bailers in my footwell and they served me well on several occasions during a recent voyage. The photo below is the day I noted for the first time how glad I was to have them. It was day one of my SCAMP voyage down the Strait of Magellan into Tierra del Fuego. These bailers were installed for very specific situations and now I feel my boat does not need them. I may remove one or both may go, not certain yet.
jpeg, SC.jpg
Hope this helps.

Jason Builder wrote:Hi, Eric great work on your boat, man your work looks tidy and clean.

SCA, Howard, Welsford, other builders: On the topic of venturi bailers....it’d be great to learn from you if there is an effective location to mount a bailer and further, what bailer should be used. My apologies if this has been definitively answered somewhere already. I have looked and have not found the answer, but that may only indicate the weakness of my researching skills. I have elected to not install bailers anywhere on the Argo, due to the poor reports of bailer performance on the forum. The bailer on my first boat, a Snipe, worked great and such a feature would be great. That said, I am aware that a Snipe and a Scamp are two different animals. Thanks in advance for any experience on an effective location and model of Venturi bailer for SCAMP.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Thanks all for the encouragement!

Two more layers of epoxy on the hull makes three:
IMG_0205.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

RE: Bailers...
Bchrovers wrote:I have one internally mounted Super Sucker and it works great. I would assume it is the same concept so I would think they would work.
I’m trying out the Sea Sure Supersuck Bailers as well and will let people know how it works.